Rambling Open G

Neil replies to questions from our members.
beaker

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 am

Neil, I have been playing "Give me Cornbread When I am Hungry"(Fahey) and "The Water Song"(Kaukonnen). I really like to play them. Can you recommend any other rambling open G songs? Are you going to do any lessons on another one?

Thanks, Beaker.

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 am

beaker wrote:
Neil, I have been playing "Give me Cornbread When I am Hungry"(Fahey) and "The Water Song"(Kaukonnen). I really like to play them. Can you recommend any other rambling open G songs? Are you going to do any lessons on another one?

Thanks, Beaker.
Beaker:

I hope it's o.k. to jump in here..... :unsure:

I did a quick google search of "Songs in Open G Tuning" and it pulled up some nice hits. One off of the top of my head is "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg. I could be wrong, but I think Neil did a lesson on "Romeo & Juliet" by Dire Straits and it was in open G as well.

I have been learning a few songs in open D and did a search for a few more as well. It is nice to have a practice session without having to re-tune for every song. If you can find a few in the same tuning, it makes it easy.

MJ

beaker

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 am

MJ. Hey man, thanks ill dig a little deeper with Google as well. Beaker

sbutler

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Beaker,

Check out Neils lesson on "Wild Horses" . He messes around with open G there as well.

Scott

ramazzoli

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm

beyond neil's lesson package of instrumentals in open g...

water song is a great one to play...not too difficult but sounds pretty impressive and is fun. i see that neil played it on the santa clara guest professor video.

chet atkins' "spanish fandango" is in open G, i believe, with nice harmonics.

south city midnight lady (already has a lesson)

would be great to see more taro patch slack tunes as well!

robb

beaker

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks Rob. These are good suggestions. I will have to familiarize myself w the Che Atkins song though. I took a look at the Doobie Bros tune. That one just might fit the bill. Pretty cool. I don't know how I missed that one. Thanks again. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic