Renaissance Music

Neil replies to questions from our members.
BigBear

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Neil- I am fascinated by the contemporary music of Ritchie Blackmore and Blackmore's Night. I have a couple of questions if you have time:

What gives Renaissance music the sound it has? You know what it is the instant you hear it.

Is it in a particular mode, tuning, or key? There has to be more to this ancient music than most of us know. But I know you know with your background in Baroque music.

Could you share some wisdom? Maybe do a lesson or point us to some resources?

Thank you! :cheer:

The Bear

kanefsky

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't know how to answer your questions but I'll just say that I'm a huge Renaissance fan and also love Blackmore's Night (especially Ghost of a Rose). One thing that might characterize it is that it tends to be very complex and difficult to arrange for solo guitar :)

--
Steve

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks.

BigBear

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Bear

I thought your question interesting although not knowing an answer thought I'd have a look for one.

I came up with this Wikipedia link: Texture (music)

Another Quote From Wikipedia
The main characteristics of Renaissance music are:[2]

Music based on modes.
Richer texture in four or more parts.
Blending rather than contrasting strands in the musical texture.
Harmony with a greater concern with the flow and progression of chords.

Polyphony is one of the notable changes that mark the Renaissance from the Middle Ages musically.[3] Its use encouraged the use of larger ensembles and demanded sets of instruments that would blend together across the whole vocal range.[3]
:ohmy:
Good stuff Dermot, thinks for that. I'm hoping Neil will jump in and tell us what modes are typically used and what chords and scales. I'd like to noodle around in a Renaissance way! But I can't find that sound.

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:39 am

BigBear Wrote:
I'd like to noodle around in a Renaissance way! But I can't find that sound.
It will be interesting to see what Neil might say as I couldn't find anything as detailed as you are seeking.
Odd that, don't you think?.... Renaissance Music has been about for a while :S you'd think there was something
out there in the depth of the internet, so it's down to..... or is that up to...... :S

Hoganpedia !!!

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic