Rhythm lessons and metronome exercise

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Lavallee

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks Bill, I need to develop that discipline (actually do it :) ). I try to play with backing track which is more fun, but I agree that metronome work is a must.

Marc

fjeanmur

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:21 pm

sandysue wrote:
Recently I was trying to collaborate a song with someone on the TG website who lives in another state. Neil was trying to help me record a video of me playing and singing. Of course you have to keep a steady beat and a steady speed to play a song together with someone remotely by video. I found it really really hard to stay with the beat of the metronome consistently.

Neil told me to start playing a bunch of easy songs over and over at different metronome speeds everyday until I could get a handle on concentrating on the beat of the metronome. He also told me to match the motion of my alternating thumb with the metronome beat. That advice has really helped. It's not easy to stay focused. Especially if you sing along as well.

I also purchased the guitar pro app for my Ipad, and I pulled all the music off of the TG website, that I have learned, and I play along with those songs. You can adjust the speed of the music and play as slowly as you want. It works like a metronome by maintaining a steady beat. The guitar pro app is not expensive at all and it really helps.

Sandy
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I also have had problems using a metronome and can't understand why when I used to use a metronome with the piano when I was a kid. Thanks, Sandy, for sharing what Neil told you. It's funny how we don't think of things that are so simple. I also think the suggestion Guitar Pro is interesting as well. I'm going to try that one too.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic