Rhythm lessons and metronome exercise

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Lavallee

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Neil ,

Since I joined the site a few weeks ago, I have improved a lot on rhythm, feeling it better. However, I still cannot work with a metronome. I would like to improve playing in time. I was thinking of taking drum lessons but then I thought that maybe a lesson could cover the topic so much better if explained by an accomplished guitarist. I know that rhythm is discussed in many lessons but it is more in bits and pieces that are intended for the specific song.

So I was wondering if a lesson could show a description of all the all the possible rhythm (grouped notes like triplet and or silence near four notes played in 16th , etc...). with exercises that are not a song to play with the metronome. Something similar can done with guitar pro, but the explanation for the why and the feel that is expected will not be there. I can play with guitar pro and follow a song , but this is not what I am looking for .

Thank you in advance

Marc

willem

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Neil ,

Since I joined the site a few weeks ago, I have improved a lot on rhythm, feeling it better. However, I still cannot work with a metronome. I would like to improve playing in time. I was thinking of taking drum lessons but then I thought that maybe a lesson could cover the topic so much better if explained by an accomplished guitarist. I know that rhythm is discussed in many lessons but it is more in bits and pieces that are intended for the specific song.

So I was wondering if a lesson could show a description of all the all the possible rhythm (grouped notes like triplet and or silence near four notes played in 16th , etc...). with exercises that are not a song to play with the metronome. Something similar can done with guitar pro, but the explanation for the why and the feel that is expected will not be there. I can play with guitar pro and follow a song , but this is not what I am looking for .

Thank you in advance

Marc

You have my vote,,,even with a simple strumming I lose the beat with the metronome..

W.

RicksPick

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm

I would vote for this good idea, Marc the newbie ( a few weeks?)

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

I was practicing with metronome recently everyday, working through simple notation
very slowly in 4/4 and 3/4 time and counting out loud but speeding it up gradually wasn't easy either.

I was watching a program the other night and two musicians were discussing their early days with music and one said to the other
how did you get on practicing with a metronome, the other answered I threw it out, so did I was the response to the answer.
Sometimes I wonder if some folk just have a good ear, special gift to know exactly where they are with respect to every beat in a piece of music

That said I too need some method by which to regulate myself with a metronome.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get back to what I was doing as helping was helping although progress was slow.

Dermot

:)

sandysue

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Recently I was trying to collaborate a song with someone on the TG website who lives in another state. Neil was trying to help me record a video of me playing and singing. Of course you have to keep a steady beat and a steady speed to play a song together with someone remotely by video. I found it really really hard to stay with the beat of the metronome consistently.

Neil told me to start playing a bunch of easy songs over and over at different metronome speeds everyday until I could get a handle on concentrating on the beat of the metronome. He also told me to match the motion of my alternating thumb with the metronome beat. That advice has really helped. It's not easy to stay focused. Especially if you sing along as well.

I also purchased the guitar pro app for my Ipad, and I pulled all the music off of the TG website, that I have learned, and I play along with those songs. You can adjust the speed of the music and play as slowly as you want. It works like a metronome by maintaining a steady beat. The guitar pro app is not expensive at all and it really helps.

Sandy

auntlynnie

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29 am

Well, I'll admit that I'm also a member of the "Metronome Challenged" club.
Like Sandy, I've had some success using Guitar-Pro. I also want to try her suggestion of working on easier songs with the metronome.

Another thing that I've tried is to use a drum loop from something like Garageband. I tend to hear that a bit better - a straight rhythm on the metronome sometimes gets lost in the music, while the drum loop has more going on so it may be a little easier to keep track of.

Lynn

Lavallee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 am

Yes Willem, it is challenging

Hi Rick, I am almost a newbie with the frequency I visit the site (often check but do not loggon very often with all the travelling).

HI Dermot, I feel that even though some people have it naturally, I am sure that the reason why the ones like me who do not have that talent, needs an understanding and then can move to the feeling of the rhythm.

HI Sandy, this is certainly a good approach. I can play along (strumming) with the metronome in general. My challenge is to be able to follow a tablature in fingerpicking for example and get the triplets and 16th notes in time and be in time with the metronome. I would like to be able to play a song that I do not know by reading the tabs(and the rhythm) which would make it a correct understanding of the technique. I am not using the Ipad, but I have guitar pro on my pc.

Hi Lynn, I like Metronome challenged club :) I have not tried garage band but I often hear a about it. I am using guitar pro but all the music is playing along so it is cheating a bit.. By the way I reeally enjoyed all your videos from the camp.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Neil ,

Since I joined the site a few weeks ago, I have improved a lot

Welcome to TG, Marc!

Take a minute to tell us about yourself..

:laugh:

Lavallee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Al, it has been a few years of course but it feels like a few weeks with such a merry group :)

The old new Marc

crashcup

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Practicing with a metronome is NOT fun, but it DOES make you a better player. Your "internal" beat is deceptive: It compensates for problem areas in your playing. A metronome doesn't lie. It will "out" your mistakes. If you go off beat with a metronome stop, back up, slow down the metronome and repeat the measure. If you still go off beat, stop, back up, slow down the metronome and repeat the measure again, and again, and again. When I FORCE myself to do this I learn at a MUCH more rapid rate because the metronome doesn't lie. I can't continue to ignore the rhythmic mistakes I make because I didn't have the discipline to slow down and learn the fingering/rhythm correctly before going "atempo. "

Cheers!

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic