clawhammer technique..

Neil replies to questions from our members.
willem

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Neil, I heard you say a few times ''clawhammer technique'' ,,any chance you break that down a bit more,,I think I know now its a banjo technique? and used also on guitar and ukelele..

Willem

RicksPick

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Willem
check this out
Maybee it will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clawhammer

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Clawhammer Technique..............
:ohmy:

Guitar Spider Exercise..... ????

willem

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:14 am

RicksPick wrote:
Hi Willem
check this out
Maybee it will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clawhammer

RicksPick

Hey Rick,,great link,,I really should had checked wiki for some information then searching youtube,,

Willem

willem

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
[quote]Clawhammer Technique..............

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) :P

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Willem ..... that was very sad...... :(

dougyoung

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Hey Folks, just checking out Neil's last few updates, and noticed this question. I have two friends who play "clawhammer" in different ways so I thought I'd chime in. In general, I think, like Neil says, you sort of have to ask someone what they mean, and there are all kinds of non-traditional fingerpicking styles that some people call clawhammer. What Steve Baughman means is old-time banjo style playing, where you literally play with your hands shaped like a claw and play *everything* with the back of your fingers. You can find a lot of intro clawhammer technique lessons on the banjo on you tube. What Steve Baughman has done is apply that same physical motion to the guitar. He describes it in this video:

Just a heads up that this is essentially a sales pitch for his DVD on the topic, but there's enough useful content just in this "teaser" that you should get his concept and enough to work on for a long time! And as an amusing factoid, this was filmed in my guitar studio - those are my red walls. And for what it's worth, Steve's approach to video is much like Neil's - let the cameras roll and go to it. This was pretty stream of consciousness on Steve's part, with a bit of editing afterwards to tighten it up.

As Neil mentioned, Steve makes a big distinction between "frailing" and clawhammer. That's partly because Steve originally published a Mel Bay book titled something about Frailing, and also called it clawhammer, and he got a bit of flack from banjo players and other traditional musicians about conflating the terms, so now he takes a fair bit of pains to make the distinction for historical accuracy.

One interesting thing is that Steve's adaptation of clawhammer to the guitar ends up sounding very different than it does on banjo. That's because on the banjo, the low string is tuned an octave up, so your thumb ends up play the high notes. When Steve uses it on guitar (he also plays a mean banjo), he literally uses the same physical motion, so the thumb ends up playing the low notes. Kind of cool how you can apply a technique to a different instrument and get a completely novel effect.

But a second friend, Al Petteway, has a completely different approach, where he tries to mimic the *sound* of clawhammer banjo, instead of replicating the technique. He has to pick the high notes, then strum the lower notes. This is a bit more like some of what Neil demo'd. So Al gets the sound of traditional clawhammer banjo, but to do that, he has to alter the technique. Steve stays true to the technique, which because of the different instrument, produces a different sound. Both very cool results. And Steve's taken the basic concept to whole new crazy levels with tapping and harmonics worked in, which also aren't pure banjo. Al tends to inject clawhammer-sounding sections into his fingerpicking tunes.

I just wish I could do anything like what either of them do!

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 am

Doug

What a great video, thanks for that.

Dermot

willem

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:58 am

Thank you Doug,,its the same video were I came across on YT where I thought I ask the question,,,but I was really searching for some playing techniques on a baritone ukelele that I bought,,I thought also that the video was a sales teaser so I did'nt put up the link here..

I am glad having some pointers for study..thx

Willem

edit: this is the link were Neil goes a bit into my question at the end of the wrap news..video time 10:50..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... tml#120384

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Willem Wrote:
I was really searching for some playing techniques on a baritone ukelele
I came across this Uke tutorial after you posted comment above.....

Clawhammer Ukulele by Richard Hefner

Dermot

:)

Edit 27.... :blush:
Eventually got the link to work !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic