Key of Ab? - Bonnie Raitt - Something to Talk About

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Hydroman52

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Neil (or Vanessa?),

I’ve been learning the Bonnie Raitt song Something to Talk About. We have a guest singer coming to rehearse with our band on Tuesday, and we are going to try to put this song together so she can sit in with us and perform it at future gigs.

I really don’t need any instruction, because I have most of my parts figured out. My question deals with theory. When it came time to decide in which Key to play it, we decided the same as it’s done on the album. When I was asked what I thought it was, I said Ab. Now I’m not sure that is correct. It appears to me to start out in the Key of Ab, but then mid verse it changes Keys to Db and then back to Ab. Near the end of the song, there appears to be another change to the Key of B.

So, my questions are (if you have time):

Is the album version of this song considered to be in the Key of Ab?
Does it modulate back and forth between the Keys of Ab and Db?
Does it end in the Key of B?
Am I all messed up and wrong?

Here’s a link to the album version:

Thanks,

Hydroman52

sbutler

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:40 pm

I don't have a clue what key its in, but that entire album (Nick of Time) is full of songs I'd love to learn. Some of them would make great instrumentals. Wow, what an album!!!!!
sCott

jayswett

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Great song. I saw her do it live at an outdure venue near Detroit. I can't help you out with the theory bit, but my guess is that you are on the right track. How did the rehearsal go?

TGNeil

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Hydro-

You pretty much have it except it doesn't really establish the key of Db as much as use (borrow) a chord or two from it. The end definitely modulates and establishes the new key. That demonstrates the difference right there. Now it sounds like you have to end on B, no going back to Ab.

Neil

Hydroman52

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Neil,

Thanks, that reaffirms my confidence. There aren't many people in my neck of the woods that are able to answer things like that. When I ask those questions around here, I get deer-in-the-headlights looks.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic