metronome

Neil replies to questions from our members.
mweston

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 am

TGVanessa wrote:
What I usually do Jay, is to play the record or track of whichever song and just tap along with the beats. Then I'll keep tapping and turn off the music and play the metronome, which i just adjust if it's slower or faster then what I'm tapping. Then go back to the music, tap along again, turn off the music, play the metronome and see if what you're tapping is close to the beats on the metronome. It should do the trick. :)

Ness
Vanessa,

I've done something like that before, but I play the metronome along with the music and try to adjust the metronome until its clicks match the beat. Is there an advantage to using the method of tapping after turning off the music? I guess one thing is that it would help train to keep a steady tapping beat without the music.

Marc W

TGNesh

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 am

Hey Marc,

The advantage is that it wires the tempo in your body, then rather letting the music do it for you. I'm sure you've heard about 'you gotta feel the beat', I do believe that tapping yourself adds to that. Without the instrumentation of a particular song, one can really concentrate/focus on the beats/taps. But of course, adjusting it while playing the music does the trick as well.

Ness

mweston wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
What I usually do Jay, is to play the record or track of whichever song and just tap along with the beats. Then I'll keep tapping and turn off the music and play the metronome, which i just adjust if it's slower or faster then what I'm tapping. Then go back to the music, tap along again, turn off the music, play the metronome and see if what you're tapping is close to the beats on the metronome. It should do the trick. :)

Ness
Vanessa,

I've done something like that before, but I play the metronome along with the music and try to adjust the metronome until its clicks match the beat. Is there an advantage to using the method of tapping after turning off the music? I guess one thing is that it would help train to keep a steady tapping beat without the music.

Marc W

mweston

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 pm

That makes sense. Thanks Ness.

Marc W

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 am

Thanks all for the advice. Will try Vanessa's method over the weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic