WhoDunIt - The Arrangement

Neil replies to questions from our members.
thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Neil

Is there any chance of adding a supplement pdf to the lesson with guide lines to the arrangement.
Between the lesson and Notation, I'm having trouble getting my head around the arrangement logic.

In the lesson you say:
The walking bass is always sandwiched between 8 measures of the main them A1
Would that be the repeated section A1- measures 10 - 17 because measure 17 ends in open E ?
Whereas m2 - m9 measure m9 ends in G, which you explain takes me back to A1.

Have a look at the image below, any help to clarify my thoughts, would be great.

Thanks

Dermot

Edit
I've changed the images below after Neils responses in the Forum and this weeks Weekly News 363 - Nov18-2016.

Click Images To Enlarge

Neil Wrote:
Hey Dermot,

I think you've got it but maybe a thought or two. I think of Section A as really an A-A-B-A 32-bar form. When it repeats I omit the 2nd A (making it A-B-A), and at the end I just play A-A. Those 3 A Sections then just alternate with Sections B and C. The mini A section ends with the low G only when it goes back to another mini A, otherwise it ends with the low E.

The original recording on Cobble Creek kept all three A Sections intact at 32 bars. I frequently shorten pieces in concert to be able to play more tunes in a set and this is how the shorter version evolved.

Neil

WhoDunIt Arrangements

TGNeil

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Hey Dermot,

I think you've got it but maybe a thought or two. I think of Section A as really an A-A-B-A 32-bar form. When it repeats I omit the 2nd A (making it A-B-A), and at the end I just play A-A. Those 3 A Sections then just alternate with Sections B and C. The mini A section ends with the low G only when it goes back to another mini A, otherwise it ends with the low E.

The original recording on Cobble Creek kept all three A Sections intact at 32 bars. I frequently shorten pieces in concert to be able to play more tunes in a set and this is how the shorter version evolved.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Neil

Thanks for explaining again.
I think what confused me is the B of Section A ( AABA) is the walking bass and not the actual Section B in 3rds, while the C section is in Parallel 6th's.

It's a great tune.

Dermot

1.27 Minutes In

sandysue

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:09 pm

I love Neil's instrumental "whodunit". I wish I was advanced enough in my guitar playing to learn it. Someday. :)

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Sandy

I worked through WhoDunIt when Neil put it out as a lesson.
I was doing fine but then put it aside, as you do !!
So I'm back on it.

It doesn't sound quite like Neil's version though !!
Needs plenty of practice.
:laugh:

A long term work in progress.

I've edited The Arrangement images (posted at the top of this topic) after Neil responded to my question.
Hopefully they are correct this time.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic