Wizz Jones

Neil replies to questions from our members.
martinibates

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:09 am

Just wondered if you and others know the music of Wizz Jones who played with John Renbourne and still plays with Ralph McTell. Only ask because I saw him at a folk club recently and thought he was great. I see there's some of his playing on Youtube. Best known seems to be when I leave Berlin, which according to Wizz was covered by Bruce Springsteen live. Maybe a subject for tabbed tune?

TGNeil

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for digging that up. I did not know much about Wizz until a few years ago when he was touring with John. He did have some pretty cool tunes. When I Leave Berlin would be a good listening project for everybody. The guitar is pretty clear, flatpicking in a folky/bluegrass style. Consider the 5 guitar friendly keys and possibly a capo to get his voicings.

Neil

sbutler

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Thanks for digging that up. I did not know much about Wizz until a few years ago when he was touring with John. He did have some pretty cool tunes. When I Leave Berlin would be a good listening project for everybody. The guitar is pretty clear, flatpicking in a folky/bluegrass style. Consider the 5 guitar friendly keys and possibly a capo to get his voicings.

Neil
capo 4th fret, act like key of G???????
Scott

Rbinding

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 pm

I found Wizz when I was trying to learn a song from John Renbourn's early albums called National Seven. As I was researching the song, it became apparent that it was a Wizz Jones song. I am still working out the arrangement, and listening to both versions. It is a song that somehow resonates with me and I hope to be able to play it with both Wizz and John in mind. I am glad to hear that Wizz is still alive and performing.
Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic