Pentatonic Patterns

Neil replies to questions from our members.
thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Neil

If I take any one of the five Pentatonic Patterns say pattern 6 in the key of G and play it
along the frretboard starting from Open, Fret 1, 2, 3, etc to fret 12, (changing key).
Other than a change in fingering, what's the purpose of the other patterns if they are a duplication of the same sounds.

Dermot

:S

wiley

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am

tombo1230

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Wiley,
Just to clarify, I believe the pattern 6 that Dermot is talking about is one of the five patterns that Neil talks about in his lesson. Neil teaches things a little differently, as he has no pattern 4. There are still only 5 patterns as you correctly mention, just numbered differently.

Dermot, I understand that some licks fall under the fingers easier in certain positions.
Some people favour certain areas on the neck because it is comfortable or even familiar to them. I read that all the greats have favourite spots on the neck. Clapton, BB King etc.
Some bends are better achieved in certain places and strings. It may be easier to play vibrato on string 2 than string 1 for instance. It may be a sound choice or octave choice.
There may well be more to be said to fully answer your question.

Cheers,

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello Wiley and TomN

Thanks for the responses.

Neil explains the five patterns as 1,2,3,5 and 6.
In his Acoustic Genius Series, Neil explains the pentatonic scales theory really well.

I think TomN might be onto the answer suggesting it's in the fingering and what suits the individual.

I wonder if there are any song lessons that reflect the practical aspect of using all five patterns.
Then again using all five patterns may be considered over kill, when one or two may suffice.
Not sure though.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 am

Neil

Great to see you in action and on the mend.

This weeks Weekly News 381 . Brilliant.
:cheer:

Tabs a great :dry: thing too... you spoil us. :P

Thanks
Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic