tablature location on fretboard

Neil replies to questions from our members.
rjramsay

Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:52 pm

I often see songs in tablature using fairly straightforward chords in the first 1-4 fret positions, but if there's a solo melody within the song, the tablature then uses higher fret positions, such as frets 5 to 10. All of those same notes can also be found in frets 1-5, so I wonder why it's necessary (or preferable) to shift to those higher frets. Is there is some benefit from using the higher frets? Thanks for any insight.

TGNeil

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am

Good question. I will try to address this a bit on Friday's Update. One reason to play notes higher up the neck on lower strings is the tone is usually better on thicker strings, meaning the second string is a little beefier than the first so the same notes can ring a little better and stronger. another is that you will have access to higher notes at the same time on the first string, rather than changing left hand position up and down the neck.

Again, I will try to elaborate in a couple days.

Neil

rjramsay

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Thanks Neil. It occurred to me after posting that another good reason is to enable easier vibrato string bending. I'm not advanced enough to do that myself but it seems that it's a lot easier to bend strings in the middle of the fretboard than down closer to the nut.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic