Precision Picking

Neil replies to questions from our members.
scott E

Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:45 am

Neil, for years, in fact ever since we met, I've focused almost exclusively on finger picking songs. That was all good but a biproduct of that was never ever getting proficient with controlled, precise picking technique. Cross picking, alternate picking or strumming while trying to accent certain notes is something that I really need work on.

I've tried to start working to fill this hole in my education by working on songs that make me focus on picking. But what would you recommend that I try?

Scott

TGNeil

Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:43 pm

Scott,

The strumming with a pick path should start with songs with the folk strum like Tequila Sunrise, then go into picking out bass notes (Mr. Bojangles, Teach Your Children, Friend Of The Devil, essentially the country strum), and include arpeggio exercises like Don't Fear The Reaper, Behind Blue Eyes or I'd Love To Change The World,
Other songs along the road would include The Needle And The Damage Done, Ripple, and eventually to From The Beginning.

scott E

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:39 am

Neil,

Thank you. I will endeavor to add those to my practice. I thought about refreshing my knowledge of the pentatonic scales as well. Maybe kill two birds with one Pick. :D

Scott

scott E

Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 am

Oh and by the way, I'm still playing Life by the Drop. Thats a good one too!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic