different types of finger picks

Neil replies to questions from our members.
davesnothere

Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am

This post is in response to Vanessa's lesson on "I've Got Dreams to Remember". My wife and I are more accustomed to the Alaska finger picks, in which the picking portion comes off the TOP of the finger and is more curved. Part of that type is designed to fit under the nail. You demonstrate a different type where the pick comes off the bottom of the finger and is more straight. I bought those after watching your lesson but prefer the Alaska type, maybe just due to being more used to it. Any comment on the different types? Is it just a personal preference thing?

TGNeil

Thu May 18, 2023 10:59 pm

Hey DavesNotHere,

Thanks for the comment on picks. I remember checking out the Alaska picks years ago and they seemed far superior to the old standard metal or plastic picks. They are much more like using your nails.

I think people that prefer the old ones just got used to them. They have been the standard for decades.

Neil

carolm242

Fri May 19, 2023 1:09 pm

davesnothere wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am
This post is in response to Vanessa's lesson on "I've Got Dreams to Remember". My wife and I are more accustomed to the Alaska finger picks, in which the picking portion comes off the TOP of the finger and is more curved. Part of that type is designed to fit under the nail. You demonstrate a different type where the pick comes off the bottom of the finger and is more straight. I bought those after watching your lesson but prefer the Alaska type, maybe just due to being more used to it. Any comment on the different types? Is it just a personal preference thing?
Hiya davesnothere,
I have also tried many types of fingerpicks including the Alaska Picks... I prefer Nails Au Natural, but alas once in a while I break a few and suffer while they grow back. The Alaska Picks have always been my favorite but I found they make my fingers go numb, even tho they make an assortment of sizes to assure a good fit. I know Doug Young has given excellent reviews on the "Tiptonics" which are more like nail overlays that are glued on and are reusable. (But not cheap, hehe)
Also it's a long and steep learning curve with any kind of pick, gotta learn right hand string awareness from square one, so you need some perseverance.

TGNesh

Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 am

Hey Dave,

Yeah, it might be personal. I've used those Alaska ones as well, but in thruth, I didn't like them at all.

Admittedly i didn't like the other ones as well, haha. But I do prefer the metal ones, in case i need them. I'm lucky to have pretty good nails myself these days, but sometimes i like to cut them off and let them grow again. So yeah, natural ones are my favorite. :)

It's interesting how different people can feel about things. Fingerpicks are no exception.

Nesh

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic