Request to Neil

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Teleblondie

Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:24 pm

Hello Neil,
I bought a song from you guys this week and watched the lessons, very well explained.
I would like to play the song with a friend on the guitar and my daughter will sing along (we are all older than 40 years and play smaller gigs together for fun, by the way we are from Germany).
But my daughter wants to sing the version in a different key (like Ashley Campbell's official video)

I think it's the key of Em and the capo isn't like the guitar lesson in Capo 3, it's the version here in Capo 4!
Can you provide me with a modified sheet music with chords for this version (if it costs anything please let me know). I think the way of playing with fingerpicking, rhythm etc. will be the same, just different chords, maybe you have another tip.
-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
Can you also offer a sheet music and chord lesson for the track "Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty"?
I play acoustic and electric guitar and my boyfriend plays acoustic guitar, bass and saxophone. For some songs it is difficult to find the right original sheet music/chords because there are too many different versions. I would need the original first to see if it works with it.
Please excuse me if my english is not that good.

ok, I look forward to your answer
Greetings to California
Jens Martin

TGNeil

Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:12 pm

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the message and welcome to TG! Ashley is using the same progression in the key of A Minor that Glen did but instead of a capo at the third fret (making it C Minor), she has her guitar tuned down 1/2 step, making it the key of G# Minor. This is 2 whole steps lower than where Glen did it but she sings an octave higher than he did, typical of the difference in male and female voices.

The easiest solution would be to do it without a capo, putting it in A Minor, which would only be 1/2 step higher than Ashley's version. If it has to be lower than that you would either have to tune the guitar down (like she did), or transpose the whole thing to E Minor (which would not be difficult), then capo up a few frets. Taking it to the fourth fret would get to Ashley's key and match her vocal range.

And as to Baker Street, I will listen to it again and see if it might make a good lesson.

Teleblondie

Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:51 am

Hallo Neil,

ok das hilft schon weiter, wir werden es proben und sehen in welcher Tonart und Gitarreneinstellung es am besten funktioniert.
Meine Tochter kann sowohl in Am als auch Em ganz gut singen, ich denke es wird gehen, allerdings habe ich erheblichen Bedarf das Fingerpicking noch korrekt zu lernen, es wird sicher etwas Zeit vergehen bis ich das perfekt kann.

Vielen Dank noch einmal!

Grüße Jens

FROM GOOGLE TRANSLATE-

Hello Neil,

ok that helps, we'll rehearse it and see what key and guitar setting it works best in.
My daughter can sing both in Am and Em quite well, I think it will work, but I still have a lot of need to learn fingerpicking correctly, it will certainly take some time before I can do it perfectly.

Thank you again!

Greetings Jens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic