Stephen Stills: "Love the One You're With" Great lyrics or So-so lyrics?

Lavallee

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Questionning is the tool for understanding. Everything does not need to be understood, but it is fun poking at it.

Marc

millponddave

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:39 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Of course Dave! :)

We did, didn't we? I sure did, Cori did, and all the others in this thread as well, it's just that sometimes music brings up questions. And when it comes to lyrics, well yeah, that cértainly raises questions sometimes. No better place than to discus it here!

So we just enjoy the song, ánd talk about it as well, no harm done right?! ;)

Ness

millponddave wrote:
Jeeeees........ Can't we just enjoy the song?

Dave
Vanessa , You are absolutely right. A lot of songs from that era, as well as now, were designed to be thought provoking an challenge our views of the world. That is one of the things I like about music. Sometimes we need to be made a little uncomfortable in order to progress in life. (hows that for a philosophical response?)

Dave

lueders

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Dave, I hear ya!

I know I'm kinda of an overtly analytical pain in the butt sometimes.(My wife tells me the same thing. doh!)
(Going over every minuscule detail with a fine-tooth comb...)

I just like/enjoy a good discussion and figured I was among friends...so I let it fly! maybe I let it fly a little too much! I dunno...

& I guess I figured the lyrics are a big part of these songs and it was a valid thing to to discuss.
I mean ya know, it is a big part of the craft of songs or the song of crafts. LOL!

Thanks Ness. Thanks Marc.

Sorry Dave...Sorry Stephen Stills!

millponddave

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:17 pm

lueders wrote:
Dave, I hear ya!

I know I'm kinda of an overtly analytical pain in the butt sometimes.(My wife tells me the same thing. doh!)
(Going over every minuscule detail with a fine-tooth comb...)

I just like/enjoy a good discussion and figured I was among friends...so I let it fly! maybe I let it fly a little too much! I dunno...

& I guess I figured the lyrics are a big part of these songs and it was a valid thing to to discuss.
I mean ya know, it is a big part of the craft of songs or the song of crafts. LOL!

Thanks Ness. Thanks Marc.

Sorry Dave...Sorry Stephen Stills!
No apology needed. I enjoy a good discussion as well, and you are among friends here.

Dave

suziko

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey Cori,

I'm getting to this discussion a bit late, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway :) I've always interpreted this song as Stills saying "Don't dwell on the past. Move on." You have a relationship which ends, and you can stagnate and spend all your time reminiscing about the past and glamorizing how it was, or you can move on and embrace where you are in life NOW. Basically it's a "how to deal with a break up" song.

Do I think the lyrics are deep? Hmmm.... I don't know. But I do think people (myself included) often have a hard time living in the moment, and tend to get caught up thinking about their past or worrying about their future. So that message is something most everyone could relate to.

Mostly I just like this song because it's very fun and catchy. The lyrics are quite secondary to me.

And with that, I now realize that I NEED to check out Nessa's new video asap!

Suzi

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:52 am

my 2 cents.

I think all of these interruptions are valid. The ones that make the most sense to me are basically about trying to move on from the pain of a hopeless/impossible or ended relationship and to make the most of the good things in your life as Suzi, Nessa and others have suggested.

But, Cori, the important thing is what it means for you and how you sing it, if of course you liked it enough to do that.

Interesting that you raise this at the moment. I've been playing an Aussie song recently "On the Wings of an Eagle". I'm having trouble with the singing because I don't get part of it. The lyrics are basically sad (surprise!) but the chorus "On the wings of an eagle I find myself lifted to the sky, lifted up for all the world to see." feels like it should be cheery and lifting out of the gloom, but I'm missing how he gets from depressed and help your brother who's in pain to I'm flying high.

Sorry it takes 15 seconds to get into the song, but I found the flashback to the 70s a trip too.

I actually didn't realise that he was using some sort of hybrid picking until I went looking for this video. So thanks.

Ta

Michele

lueders

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:49 am

Suzi-as always thank you for weighing in! I like your interpretation. I too, am a dweller! Needless to say...just look at this thread.
LOL! But I have to say, I very much zero in on the lyrics to a song. Infact, I am one of those goobers that tries to find the
meaning of life buried in the lyric sheets! LOL!

Michele- thank you for your two cents, as well. Everyone has given me a lot to think about with their interpretations. Hey, I like
this 70's Aussie tune. (The intro kinda sounds like the Church's Under the Milky way...also Aussies I think?) Okay, here
we go another one to put under the microscope and analyze...

P.S. Michele I do kinda understand your puzzlement there. He's down in the dumps @ then all of a sudden he is soaring
with the eagle hmmmm? What miraculously has lifted his spirits? Or is that the right read in the first place? Hmmm?
Thanks a lot Michele! Now I am gonna be pondering this one....LOL!

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Core,

I'm so glad you get my puzzlement. Instead of hijacking your thread I'll start a new one. It's not as thought provoking as you question, but I'd love to know what people make of it.

Ta

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:39 pm

I've been confused by a number of lyrics in my time stating as a 7 year old and thinking the Beatles were singing

Ain't they Louise

when it was in fact

Eight days a Week

And Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry sat in my head for a long time as (If you have) No woman (you'll have) No (cause to) cry... so your better off with out one! I don't think anything else about the lyrics registered in my mind except something about a trench coat but that may have been slightly wrong too....

AndyT

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Cori,
Love the one you're with....
Sounds to me like he got dumped for whatever reason which explains the rose & glove line.

This is one of those that you actually have to discuss to get a broader perspective on it. Then understanding dawns. I used to hate this one for the exact same reason. Now I have a much clearer understanding of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic