Suzi's secret life as...... a rock star??

dsmarion

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 pm

By the way, I know it wasn't your idea -- but I love the band name!

Scott

daryl

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Very impressed....to overcome fears and anxieties....I know I could NEVER do anything like that.

Thinking about the weekend song writing experience....do you think you might start doing it on your own? Was it enjoyable at all? Did you find it more difficult creating the melody or finding the right lyrics?

suziko

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. I'm really glad you enjoyed my description of my rock star weekend! One thing I also wanted to say was that, despite my fears earlier that morning about the performance potentially being a disaster, it wasn't at all. Our vocalist/bassist came through in a big way. I was hugely impressed that she was able to carry the vocals and still keep up her bass line. Our song was a hit with the crowd and if there were any mess-ups, they certainly weren't noticeable to anyone. We all left the stage feeling pumped up.

Scott- all the proceeds from Ladies Rock Camp go to support Girls Rock Camp. I think there are probably a lot of scholarships available for girls to attend GRC, and those are partly funded by money raised from LRC and from the performances (there was a cover charge for the performance last night, plus merchandise for sale). Oh, and while the name wasn't my idea, I thought it sounded cool, too.

Dennis- There was actually a professional videographer at the show, but I didn't buy a video. Maybe someone who did will post a clip of the performance. if so, I'll share it with anyone who's interested.

Dermot- It's hard to say how I'd react to the "next time." There are certainly things I learned from this experience that would affect how I'd behave in the future. One other lesson I took from this weekend was how closely knit the local community of musicians is, and how supportive of each other they are. It really makes me want to get out there and see their bands when they perform. And now that I've got some cool new women friends to go with, I think I'll be doing that more regularly.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Suzi, that must have been a riot ... and I suppose also a trip into "I never thought I'd put myself into this situation" territory.
Good on you for pushing the envelope.

If I may be so forward, could you maybe post the lyrics to "You're So Hot" ? I hope that won't wake the earworm from it's nap !
Just a thought, no pressure. :)

Thanks for sharing this, Suzi.

Pierre

suziko

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Daryl,

You COULD do it. Most of the women who performed last night had never done anything like that before. But when push comes to shove, you just do it, and you do the best you can.

As for songwriting, the weekend definitely inspired me to start putting more time and energy toward that. I sat in on 3 different classes on songwriting and I learned quite a lot. It's hard for me to say what's hardest because I've only barely tried to do it. This weekend, one of the women in my band pretty much did all the lyrics herself. The singer came up with a melody, and then I put the melody to chords. When her melody changed a bit, I shifted the chords to fit the melody. That was not something I'd ever done before, so it was a great thing to learn how to do. I kept the chord progression simple (all chords in the key of G).

suziko

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Pierre,

Let me think about it. Maybe I should just post a solo, unplugged version for you to see. Then you'd REALLY catch the earworm! ;)

abiliog

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Suzy,
You put a big smile on my face. What a great weekend, lot of fun and an overwhelming experience.
Playing for an audience, that's courage.
Thanks for sharing your weekend story "Exes with Axes" Rock Star, :)
Abilio

Hydroman52

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Woo Hoo! Good going, Suzi! A great time and a good cause, too.

Hydroman52

michelew

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Ahhh another Rock Star in the TG family!

WOW! You're one gutsy woman. Sounds like you had a HOOT!

Put me down for the video. I'd love to see it. I'd loved to have seen it in person. I'm sure I would have been a hootin' and a hollerin' at your powerful rock chick vibe.

You are SOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOLL B) B) B) B) B)

Thanks for the story. Great photo.

Shel

AndyT

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:15 pm

I'll add my vote for the video as well.
Glad to hear you had a great time. Being on stage sort of wipes out the rest of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic