New Goal this year?

abiliog

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 pm

daryl

Downloaded 8.0.1 Cannot make it stay......
BUT

Using willem's advice I went to Explorer and I can set the font and it does stay, so I'll just use that for TG.

and

I had forgotten to cut and paste into a word processor. Now I can print huge.

As always, thanks. I know I went off topic.

Sam

RicksPick

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Here is my goal for 2012........

Beginning on or about January 1st, I will post a video of me playing "If You Could Read My Mind". I will work on that song very hard and post again on the 1st of February and so on until a few of you say I got it right. Each of these videos will be a first take, and not edited.

I will create a thread just for these videos so I can go back and see if I progress from month to month. When I feel it's worth his time, I will toss it up to Neil.

I challenge other struggling people--I know you're out there--to do the same.

Sam

schm040

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Great goal Sam, can't wait to see it! :cheer:

Ness

TwoCatSam wrote:

Beginning on or about January 1st, I will post a video of me playing "If You Could Read My Mind". I will work on that song very hard and post again on the 1st of February and so on until a few of you say I got it right. Each of these videos will be a first take, and not edited.

I will create a thread just for these videos so I can go back and see if I progress from month to month. When I feel it's worth his time, I will toss it up to Neil.

Sam

AndyT

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 am

Looking forward to it Sam!

willem

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:16 am

TwoCatSam wrote:

Sam

Way to go Sam,,,its a great idea too...looking forward to every first of the month and learn tooo...

Willem

sws626

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:52 am

I'd like to play in public some time this year. Some place other than in my bedroom.

AndyT

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 pm

sws626 wrote:
I'd like to play in public some time this year. Some place other than in my bedroom.
If you get to Hawaii, we can take care of that.
Anyone that comes to the island is more than welcome to join me for some public jam sessions.
That's just part of the culture here.

sws626

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:21 pm

AndyT wrote:
sws626 wrote:
If you get to Hawaii, we can take care of that.
Anyone that comes to the island is more than welcome to join me for some public jam sessions.
That's just part of the culture here.
Thanks Andy. I've not yet managed to get to Hawaii, but will let you know if I do.

dennisg

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:35 am

I'm in the unusual position of not knowing if I'm going to be alive tomorrow. And I know that's a pretty surprising thing to read, and I also know that some background might be necessary to understand how I got to this place.

About 4 years ago, i was stricken with a condition called pancreatitis. Until I got sick, I had absolutely no idea what a pancreas does. In short, a pancreas produces insulin and the digestive enzymes your body uses to process food. When you have pancreatitis, the "exit" duct gets blocked and prevents the digestive enzymes from leaving the pancreas, causing the pancreas to start digesting itself. The damage that pancreatitis can do to one's body runs the gamut from "almost no effect" to "fatal." Mine was nearly fatal and my pancreas is 20 percent destroyed.

After I got home from a 15-day hospital stay, I made a decision to be more careful with the people I allow into my life. Maybe you can understand that. When you don't know for sure if you're going to be alive tomorrow, you don't want to spend your time with people who can't seem to have your best interests at heart. So I slowly started thinning the herd, so to speak, dropping the friends who do me harm. Fortunately, I have a wife who supported me in this, as she does in almost everything I do.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, except that things changed for me when, last Thursday, I was ambulanced to the hospital with another attack of pancreatitis. I have to tell you, in addition to the phenomenal pain, the scariest thing is knowing now that I can get pancreatitis at any time, no matter how well I take care of myself, no matter what physical condition I keep myself in, no matter how carefully I monitor my diet. I'm resigned to the fact that this is what my life looks like from now on. Not knowing anything for certain. So I thought I'd better get some goals out there. Quickly.

I have three fundamental goals this year. The first is to get even more enjoyment out of the guitar than I got the year before, and I think if I do more open mics, play with more friends, and learn some songs that just give me the shivers the first time I play a few opening notes, I'll have no problem reaching that goal. The second goal, related to pancreatitis, is to do an even better job of eliminating the people from my life who betray, fail to support, act cowardly or steadfastly narcissistic, or any of several other things that add up to not having my best interests at heart. And the third goal is to use even more of my resources (time, money, effort) to help those who really need it.

I don't know how much life I have remaining to me and, truthfully, it's a little unnerving knowing that I could last another 25 years or I could be gone tomorrow. Neither extreme would surprise me. But it's the not knowing that makes me want to use my remaining time to enjoy guitar more, surround myself with healthy people, and be an even better support system than I've been in the past.

Have a happy new year.

sbutler

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:55 pm

dennisg wrote:
I'm in the unusual position of not knowing if I'm going to be alive tomorrow. And I know that's a pretty surprising thing to read, and I also know that some background might be necessary to understand how I got to this place.

About 4 years ago, i was stricken with a condition called pancreatitis. Until I got sick, I had absolutely no idea what a pancreas does. In short, a pancreas produces insulin and the digestive enzymes your body uses to process food. When you have pancreatitis, the "exit" duct gets blocked and prevents the digestive enzymes from leaving the pancreas, causing the pancreas to start digesting itself. The damage that pancreatitis can do to one's body runs the gamut from "almost no effect" to "fatal." Mine was nearly fatal and my pancreas is 20 percent destroyed.

After I got home from a 15-day hospital stay, I made a decision to be more careful with the people I allow into my life. Maybe you can understand that. When you don't know for sure if you're going to be alive tomorrow, you don't want to spend your time with people who can't seem to have your best interests at heart. So I slowly started thinning the herd, so to speak, dropping the friends who do me harm. Fortunately, I have a wife who supported me in this, as she does in almost everything I do.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, except that things changed for me when, last Thursday, I was ambulanced to the hospital with another attack of pancreatitis. I have to tell you, in addition to the phenomenal pain, the scariest thing is knowing now that I can get pancreatitis at any time, no matter how well I take care of myself, no matter what physical condition I keep myself in, no matter how carefully I monitor my diet. I'm resigned to the fact that this is what my life looks like from now. Not knowing anything for certain. So I thought I'd better get some goals out there. Quickly.

I have three fundamental goals this year. The first is to get even more enjoyment out of the guitar than I got the year before, and I think if I do more open mics, play with more friends, and learn some songs that just give me the shivers the first time I play a few opening notes, I'll have no problem reaching that goal. The second goal, related to pancreatitis, is to do an even better job of eliminating the people from my life who betray, fail to support, act cowardly or steadfastly narcissistic, or any of several other things that add up to not having my best interests at heart. And the third goal is to use even more of my resources (time, money, effort) to help those who really need it.

I don't know how much life I have remaining to me and, truthfully, it's a little unnerving knowing that I could last another 25 years or I could be gone tomorrow. Neither extreme would surprise me. But it's the not knowing that makes me want to use my remaining time to enjoy guitar more, surround myself with healthy people, and be an even better support system than I've been in the past.

Have a happy new year.
My gosh Dennis, that was an attomic bomb. I hate to hear of your condition. It makes me realize how lucky I've been so far in life. I've had way too many surgurys, but nothing like this. I hope the best for you and the ones that count on you everyday just to be there for them. I hope that your guitar provides you with the medicine you need to keep going.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic