So I responded to this ad on Craigslist...

dekotaj

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am

Hey Al.

What a great way for thing to turn out.GREAT story,Really enjoy hearing about the good stuff in life.

NEW guitar. How about a little preview ???

BRAVO AL!!!

Kev

tvarga

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:34 am

Al, I'm really impressed. You're way ahead of me here. I tried once to play in front of a few people and ended up a nervous wreck.
I figure that I still need another year or two to gain enough confidence to even try something like you're doing. Bravo!
Maybe now that you're experienced, we're ready for another Canadian New Englanders get-together? :)
Keep up the great work ... and let's see some evidence!
-Tom

dennisg

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:46 am

Way to go, Al. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. Is there an open-mic in your future?

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 am

Michele- Glad you liked the story. "She who dares- wins" is just as good too!! :)

Willem- I alluded to this earlier- but what I really need is to learn for this group is more basic things. Like power chords, basic 12 bar blues and such. My fingerpicking skills don't serve me too well in this environment.

Chris- we can still pretend you made it up. ;)

Kev- ask & ye shall receive (below)

Tom- Wouldn't say I'm too experienced yet- but thanks for the vote of confidence.
The Canadian New Englanders will ride again! (one day)

Dennis- N.S.N.

So- this is a clip I didn't plan on posting.. A work in progress that I've only shown Daryl.. 'Something' on my new telecaster.
The point was to work on my lead skills- but you'll see/hear that I only got up to a certain point so far. Will be quite a while before I'm finished. But this will give you an idea of how the tele sounds in the hands of someone who's NEVER played an electric before!

BigBear

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 am

Al- great story!! I've been looking to do that very same thing but now I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up. It's been 40+ years since I played in a band but man, does that sound like fun.

I'm green with envy Al. Congrats on having the courage to step outside your comfort zone. All you folks who have that courage; Dennis, Buddy and many others are inspirations to us all!

Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers my friend! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing your vid with the rest of us as well Al! :) :)

I understand why you say you're a guitarplayer who happens to sing, still in general you do very well on the singing (definitely no exception in this one), so you might wanna call yourself a singing guitarplayer?? :P

And how great to hear/see your new guitar! I was wondering though, how about using a pick? Even for a song such as this one?

Ness

cosmicmechanic

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Al, thanks for this glimpse into your current project.

My gut reaction is that you don't need that level of vocal effects.

Of course, some wise woman did say "Everybody deserves a little reverb", and I cannot argue otherwise, for anybody ...

But if you really ham it up Al, and leave it pretty stark, I'm sure this could be great and grungy B)

Pierre

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Bear- Thanks for stopping by & happy new year!

Ness- Good point about using a pick. I'm still getting the feel for playing an electric and I'm so used to hugging/feeling an acoustic. My next upload will be with a pick.
BTW- the people I'm playing with have a rule that I have to stand when I play with them! I'm literally back to square one!! :blink:

Pierre- I'm trying to remember when I recorded this.. I think I had the reverb on when I recorded using the MicroBR- but not too over the top. Will see about experimenting for my next upload.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Well standing is enough to put most out of their comfort zone if only used to sitting, that's for sure.... did they say you have to slig it low too Al? ;-) Nice job on this and especially on the vocal mix, very nice indeed. If its any consolation, AMERICA were a studio band who had to go out and make it work on stage in the early days, a right of passage, I guess.

tacticaltal

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Damn good for a first time electric player, Al. I don't know why you think you can't be a singer, cause you sounded really good to my ears.

Good luck w/ the group, Al.

~terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic