Is Old Music Killing New Music--An article from "The Atlantic"

crashcup

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm

I subscribed to Totally Guitars over a decade ago. After playing through nearly all of Neil's solo fingerstyle pieces--(sorry, Neil, not Heliotrope Bouquet, by Scott Joplin, I know you slipped some extra fingers into that one) I moved on and come back occasionally to order individual lessons that interest me. I took and applied Neil's encouragement to develop my own skills and imagination in my playing.

I recently discovered and purchased all but one of Bob McAlpine's lessons. His arrangements are accessible without relinquishing the sonic complexity of the original artist. They added to my repertoire but especially to my skill set--technique and playing with rhythmic variety/density..

Anyway, I attached a link below to an interesting article that might make you feel more comfortable leaning into the oldies and it is also a boon for sites like this one that have a huge catalog of "older" music. I have a subscription to The Atlantic but I accessed the article without logging in so it should be accessible to non-subscribers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ic/621339/

Enjoy!

Bill

Oh, and PLEASE INVITE BOB McALPINE TO SUBMIT MORE ARRANGEMENTS!!