Re:Please Introduce Yourself Here

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 am

BigBear wrote:
cabro wrote:
In closing, Bear, I saw your bass player jokes the first day I joined the board and I'll just leave you with one question: What is the range of a fretless bass? The answer is about 20 yards with a good arm.
That's hysterical! And with a good tailwind!!

What's really interesting is why does everyone immediately "get" bass player jokes? They just nod their heads with this look of complete understanding!! :lol:
He'd get a Bear between the eyes at 25 yards with a tailwind...

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:18 am

I wonder if the posts that got lost from here will resurface, just in case my memory fails me about what I started this thing off with... ANd also to ensure continuity this should be a sticky and all intros on the one thread instead of creating new topics within this category. Running the risk of this going all over the place and upsetting those who complain about navigating the site lol

BigBear

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I wonder if the posts that got lost from here will resurface, just in case my memory fails me about what I started this thing off with... ANd also to ensure continuity this should be a sticky and all intros on the one thread instead of creating new topics within this category. Running the risk of this going all over the place and upsetting those who complain about navigating the site lol
Can one of the Mods lock the thread so that new topics can't be added? Seems simple enough!

Then you thread pirates will be screwed! :lol:

AndyT

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:08 am

There goes Bear again, The pot calling the kettle black. You piratical ursine.

eagle670

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:59 am

Hey I'd like to have all you senior and platinum members introduce yourself as well. Be nice to know a little more about each of you.

I am a 51 year old guy that lives just outside of Kansas City. I played the guitar for several years when I was younger and then I got married and had a family and somewhere along the way the guitar went to the store room. Last year, while installing a ceiling in my basement, I heard ELP's "From the Beginning" and was inspired to pick up it up again after about a 20 year absence. That is what led me to this site. Hobby wise I do a little fly fishing and go to a few Chiefs games every once in awhile. Spend most of my time with the family, taking my teenage daughter to tennis lessons and writing checks to oldest daughter for college. Maybe Neil can give me a reprive from paying my subscription fee when it is time to pay that college bill each semester. OUCH!. My wife and I seem to find little time for ourselves, but it's all about the kids anyway right? I enjoy the lessons here very much, but what I really like is the friendships that are developing here. There are some great folks on this site and I am glad to be a part of it.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am

I feel the same way here.... nice friendly folks with many common interests even if we are from different corners of the world... and at the center of things is the joy of learning and improving playing the songs we love.

BigBear

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Okay, Eagle, you got me!! I tried to dodge this but fair's fair, right? First, I have come by my user name "Big Bear" honestly! I'm 6-5" and about 350# so as they say down South, I'm a "Big ole' Boy"! Or as Andy and Chas have suggested I catch wild salmon with my teeth and eat them raw right out of the river!! LOL! My wife says I'm a big teddy bear with fangs and claws. I think that was a compliment but I'm not sure?!

I'm 55, work as a Senior Project Manager for the largest engineering and construction management company in the world. I'm a civil engineer but work on the construction side, not the design side. I'm currently on furlough waiting for my next project which bids tomorrow.

Personally, I'm happily married and live on the outskirts of Portland, Oregon. Our state is known for its diverse and natural beauty and for being almost as liberal as our larger neighbor to the south! Sorry Neil! We make Wisconsin look conservative! :lol: I do not subscribe to the liberal agenda to say the least. My family came to Oregon on the Oregon trail in the early 1800's so I am truly a native son.

I love the great outdoors and fly fishing, bird hunting, golf and anything else you can do outside. I used to have a small vineyard so wine is also a hobby. And I love good scotch and fine cigars, preferably together!

I have two sons, 25 and 22 and a 19 year old daughter (anyone want to trade a teenage daughter for something, anything? I'll give you a guitar to take her! LOL!!). I also have three Golden Retrievers that I truly love because they don't talk back or want money!

I've played the guitar since I first took lessons when I was 14. I learned to read sheet music but not much else. I had a Harmony guitar with the action about three inches above the frets so it was a blast to play! Played in a band in high school and actually played with some really fine guitarists who went on to professional fame. None of it rubbed off on me!

Didn't play much through college, my time in the Army (Germany) or afterward trying to build a business. Went through a nasty divorce and became a little too fond of single malt scotch so I quit drinking (I should say drastically reduced drinking) and picked up the guitar. As a treat to myself I went in to buy a Martin which I'd always dreamed of owning. Walked out with a Taylor 710 and have been hooked on Taylor ever since.

My main guitar is a custom Larrivee L-10e which is similar to a Taylor 910. It has the Robin Hood headstock (I'll post some pictures) if you know about Larrivee. Englemann spruce top and Indian Rosewood sides and back. Larrivee and Taylor are very similar in construction and tone since Bob Taylor and Jean Larrivee are good friends. My Larrivee has a 12 string neck to accomodate my big hands. I also play my Taylor 314ce which I bought for a camping guitar but it is way too nice for that! Perhaps my favorite guitar is my Taylor 855 12-string which I stole from a local guitar shop that was looking to move it. If you like the sound of a 12 try a Taylor, you'll be hooked! I also have a Les Paul Studio, jet black with gold hardware. Everybody needs an electric guitar right? Might as well be Les Paul! I use a Crate 125 and Roland Cube amps.

I'm an old folkie with serious headbanger undertones. Growing up in the 60's and 70's I became hooked on Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Cream, BOC, Uriah Heep, Jefferson Airplane (NOT Starship!), the Who, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Mountain and so on. I also love prog rock like Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Rennaisance, Camel, Wishbone Ash, Barkley James Harvest. I have to fit C,S,N & Y and the Moody Blues in there somewhere. My folk interests are Gordie, S&G, Dylan, Tom Russell, Ralph McTell, John Denver. I love good Travis picking!

I would consider myself a solid intermediate, maybe a little better. Since joining TARGET and lots of practice I have improved tremendously. It's shocking to me. Even my wife mentioned my music sounds better, more melodious. My singing has also improved as my confidence on the guitar has improved.

Finally, I've really enjoyed my time with TG and TARGET. I've truly rnjoyed all my new friends like Andy, Chas, Bill, Ric, Greg, Chris, Marc, Kenny, Eagle, Rev Kate, MJ, Wrench, Jim, Al and so many more. You folks have made this musical journey a true pleasure and I hope we stay together for long time to come! Thank you all!

There Eagle, does that cover it? :lol:

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 pm

I wrote an introduction, but I understand some post were lost. Did my post disappear into the ether, do I need to post a new intro?

Ric

BigBear

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I wrote an introduction, but I understand some post were lost. Did my post disappear into the ether, do I need to post a new intro?
Ric- I remember reading it but it isn't there anymore. Could you repost it for us?

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Cheers, Bear! Good intro!

Al

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic