RicksPick

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

Hi and welcome Naz

Nice to have you on here
And thank you for all your hard work
The site is brill

So do you play Guitar?
Some history would be nice!
If you get time with all the great work your doing.

RicksPick

suziko

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Hey all!

Well, some of you already know me, but I figured I'd give a better introduction here.

My first musical experience came as a young girl, trying to learn to play the violin. I picked up what the teacher taught us, and memorized which strings to hit when, etc. However, I somehow never got around to learning how to read the music that was put in front of me. So, one day our teacher asks us to turn to a new song (The Star-Spangled Banner) and see if we can pick it out from the music. Well, I might as well have been trying to read hieroglypics. I had no idea how those dots and flags on a bunch of lines corresponded to the music everyone around me was playing. I was humiliated and angry and decided that I was done with music forever! Clearly I was not musical, so why waste my time?

Fast forward about 20 years. I start to realize that a resolution made at age 8 is not necessarily a well-thought out one. I decide to start learning to play piano, mostly teaching myself through books. Piano was fun, but not very portable, and trying to get people to sing along always felt so stodgy and like something out of Charles Dickens. So, I lost interest in piano. Then, for his 30th birthday, my husband got a guitar. He noodled around with it a bit, mostly hitting a chord then throwing up the devil horns at me, tongue sticking out a la Gene Simmons. This lasts for a couple of weeks until the novelty wears off for him. So I pick it up and discover, hey- this kind of rocks! I feel much cooler playing it than I did playing piano (and coolness is, as we all know, the most important factor when choosing an instrument to play), plus it's portable and people like to sing along with a guitar! I mostly did some learning by myself, printing out lousy TAB online and trying to figure out how the heck you play that song. Took a group class, but was mostly stagnating. Then I found

(fanfare)

TOTALLY GUITARS!

I didn't join for a few weeks because I'm a bit of a cheapskate and figured I'd get what I could for free. But I quickly realized that all the really cool stuff (as Neil would say) was on the paid membership. And, really $20/month is a steal.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

terrynewton

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 pm

naz wrote:
Hi, I wanted to introduce myself my name is Naz and I am developer on TG. I get all the requests for new features and programming behind the scenes. Hope everyone is enjoying the site. ;)
Hi Naz,

Love the site and I know a lot of hard work is going on behind the screen. Thanks for your talents in making this the best teaching site on the web.

Terry B)

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:44 pm

naz wrote:
Hi, I wanted to introduce myself my name is Naz and I am developer on TG. I get all the requests for new features and programming behind the scenes. Hope everyone is enjoying the site. ;)
Hey Naz! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Also, thanks for all of your work behind the scenes. We are very thankful for this site.

Cheers!

MJ

:)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Hey Naz welcome, nice of you to pop your head up above the cubicle walls that Amtt no doubt has you chained to! Is there a guitar in the cubicle with you? I guess it's a requirement here... that or a Poobah hat. Any cool stuff your working on that Amtt doesn't want you to tell us about? ;)

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Hey Naz, thanks for introducing yourself. So there are actual people behind the scenes at TG. Do Neil & Matt know you are on the forum and not still chained to your desk?:laugh:

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. It shows in the excellent site you guys have created.

Ric

haoli25

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 pm

naz wrote:

Hello NAZ, it's good to meet another of the creative forces behind TG. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Bill

BigBear

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:17 pm

naz wrote:

Hi Naz! Thanks for introducing yourself! This site is awesome due to you guys! Keep up the great work!

Hey, do you play the guitar or are you just a programming geek? lol! :lol:

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Wow, really great to hear that so much guys are happy to see me here, it's big honor to me! I play the guitar from the early ages and I always keep it right to me so I can do a quick break and play one of my favorite songs ;-)

reiver

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Naz

I am in the UK and trying to join up - but the "sign up" buttons are inactive (for a few days now), preventing me from giving you any money! Is there a restriction or is this a temporaray situation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic