Hi from the new guy on the block

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:13 am

Hi to everyone at TG from a rainy day in Switzerland.
If I just triggered the sound of America in your mind singing "Whenever it's a rainy day........" then we are on the same wave length and will be good friends! I guess that also explains my login-nickname (I wasn't only refering to my guitar-learning procrastination habits).
I grew up to the sounds of my mother playing Spanish classical guitar and being a child of the 60's with half my family being born in Liverpool, I have the Beatles in my blood too. I love great lyrics and story telling set to beautiful melodies accompanied by great guitar harmonies,beats and riffs sung by voices that touch the soul. Big influences on me have been America, Moody Blues (especially the voice and lyrics of Justin Hayward), Al Stewart (very impressed to hear that Neil has played with him!!), Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot and Dan Fogelberg. I sing about 200 songs but as I taught myself to play, you can imagine I am missing so many bits bobs and pieces not to mention so many basics which I missed along the way!
I'm a professional sports coach, now also teaching mind-management and high performance, with 25 years of coaching behind me so I recognised immediately that Neil Hogan is an exceptional teacher. His Youtube video showing the intros to Justin Hayward's The Story in Your Eyes and Tuesday Afternoon brought me running to TG with my tongue handing out for more. I'm really looking forward to advancing my playing because I need to get my playing up to the much better standard I can sing to.
And right off the bat here are some songs I'd love to see here (Neil if your are listening!): If you Could Ready My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot), Year of The Cat and On the Border (Al Stewart), Three Roses, Rainy Day and Never Found the Time (America). Just for starters :-).
Best wishes to all!
Chris alias neverfoundthetime

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:21 am

Welcome to the TG Forum, Chris. Great story.

If we can help you with anything, just ask. If you have any info to share please do. We are all learning from each other.

BigBear

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:22 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
If you Could Ready My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot), Year of The Cat and On the Border (Al Stewart), Three Roses, Rainy Day and Never Found the Time (America). Just for starters :-).
Chris- you and I are already soul mates since your musical tastes and mine are indentical!! Wow, every singer and song you mentioned are on my hit list, too!!

Where do you live in "die Schweiz"? I've spent a fair amount of time there and love that stunningly beautiful country and it's people.

Currently, I'm working on the picking pattern for If You Could Read My Mind. It's a little challenging but sounds great when I hit it right! Do you have a good tab for that song? I have a good one if you don't. If you'll PM me and give me your email (the file is too big to post here)!

If you find this site rewarding please consider joining the TARGET program. It's fantastic and has helped my playing more in 3 months than I've improved in 10 years! As you've correctly deduced, Neil is the real deal and truly cares about his students. And $20/month is steal for the quality of the content!

Happy playin'

wrench

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 am

Chris, what sport do you coach? What are your thoughts on applying mind-management to music?

I think you found the right place to learn guitar. Your assessment of Neil Hogan is spot-on, and you will find many people here with a great deal in common with you.

I believe you just joined the most prodigious pool of guitar knowledge on planet Earth.

wrench

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:05 pm

wrench wrote:
I believe you just joined the most prodigious pool of guitar knowledge on planet Earth.

wrench

Oh we are a pool of something alright! :laugh:

But you will figure that out soon enough Chris.

Seriously, the people here and the instruction are excellent,

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi Bill, nice to hear from you! I'll share all I have, any time. I do have a pdf songbook of all the songs I Sing/play. I'm willing to share that over Pr. mail. WHere are you based?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi BigBear!
Thanks for your comments. I guess your name comes with the country... Oregon. I'm living on Lake Zürich which is, as you say like most of Switzerland, beautiful!
Yes we have the same tastes; I'll mail you my email and maybe we can exchange files.
Glad to meet you! ANd yes, I'll be joining TARGET. Just haven't found where I can use my credit card yet, just paypla which I don't want to use...

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Wrench

I coach squash and tennis mainly although moons ago I was coaching soccer and many other team sports. I spend more time coaching coaches these days.... you get older, have more knowledge but slow down a lot! Yes, I have a number of musicians in my mind management trainings. I sometimes think that musical performance is more difficult than sport as there is so much more pressure to make no mistake. It truly requires performance of the highest quality and focus. I get more nervous having to play in front of strangers than I ever got playing competition sport (Soccer, tennis, squash) in front of people. Singing has never been a problem though. Where you have the most confidence and competence, you relax more and fall into your perfect performance state.
I'm looking forward to swimming in the pool!
Chris

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Maybe you can explain to me what heck the karma button is all about?!! Have I signed up for more than I bargined for!:-)

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:42 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Maybe you can explain to me what heck the karma button is all about?!! Have I signed up for more than I bargined for!:-)

Good question Chris. Actually, the 'KARMA' button is applause for a particular post that you like or is helpful. The other button is a 'SMITE' or a 'Boo/Hiss'. As I remember, you are allowed just one KARMA or SMITE vote every 6 hours.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic