Just joined within the past few weeks

tbeltrans

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:00 pm

This is probably the first post I should have made...:huh:

My name is Tony and I have been playing guitar for quite some time, having taught myself back in the 70s. I played professionally for about two years full time in one of the many bands that played the Holiday Inn and supper club circuit in the late 70s. After leaving the road, I decided that I wanted to explore solo instrumental guitar. The farther I get into it, the more I see there is to learn.

I joined this site because I have enjoyed Neil's recordings for some years. My main purpose here is to stay in contact with fingerstyle guitar through a well-moderated forum where the areas of interest match my own reasonably closely. Whether I want to specifically play a particular style here or not, everything people talk about is the stuff I grew up with and am comfortable with, so I am enjoying reading people's posts and looking through the lesson videos.

I have been working a lot with Robert Conti's materials for quite some time, particularly the chord melody stuff and have found it to be excellent. A few years ago, I purchased the whole "Serious Student Package" from Guitar College with the idea that someday I would feel ready to tackle it. I have decided that now is the time, since I have the next week off and can use it to get organized and a good start. My plan is to spend an hour a day with that material for the next ?? years, and any other time exploring other outlets, such as what goes on here. I consider myself a "serious hobbyist" and will always enjoy the learning process.

Tony

BigBear

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey Tony, a huge weloome to TG and TARGET. What you will find here are some great people, many of us are older and re-dedicating ourselves to our love of guitar. I'm sure I'm not as talented as you are but my abilities have skyrocketed since I joined here and started practicing with more focus. It's funny, the more I practice, the better I get LOL!

Anyway, good to have you with us!

Rick

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Welcome to TG, Tony. I think you'll like it here as Neil and the rest of the TG members keep it interesting and lively with plenty to learn. Looking forward to hearing more from a seasoned player like yourself here in the forum.

Keep Playing
Ric

tbeltrans

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Rick and Ric:

Thanks for the welcome! I suspect that many here have similar backgrounds and (like me) are always learning new things. This site is laid out quite differently from other sites I have visited, so it will take some time to figure out what is where, especially what is "Target Member" and what is open to the general public.

Tony

BigBear

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 pm

tbeltrans wrote:
Rick and Ric:

Thanks for the welcome! I suspect that many here have similar backgrounds and (like me) are always learning new things. This site is laid out quite differently from other sites I have visited, so it will take some time to figure out what is where, especially what is "Target Member" and what is open to the general public.
Tony- Although Neil is very generous with what he posts in the free section, the fact is that TARGET is the candy store. I couldn't learn everything there in ten years! I don't want to offend any non-paying memebers by saying too much so please PM me if you have more specific questions!

I'm glad you're with us!

Rick

tbeltrans

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

Rick:

Thanks! I am learning my way around, so the differentiation between what is and isn't Target will become more clear as I explore the site. I am starting to work on the Guitar College course now, so as time permits, I will be dropping in here to check forums, new lessons, and that sort of thing as time permits. I have come to the conclusion that I won't be satisfied until I have the kind of musical foundation that a school like Guitar College can provide. But I like what I see here and fully intend to make use of it too. Next week, I am back to work, which gives me even less time overall.

Tony

BigBear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 am

tbeltrans wrote:
Rick:

Thanks! I am learning my way around, so the differentiation between what is and isn't Target will become more clear as I explore the site. I am starting to work on the Guitar College course now, so as time permits, I will be dropping in here to check forums, new lessons, and that sort of thing as time permits. I have come to the conclusion that I won't be satisfied until I have the kind of musical foundation that a school like Guitar College can provide. But I like what I see here and fully intend to make use of it too. Next week, I am back to work, which gives me even less time overall.

Tony
Tony- that's a heavy commitment in time and effort. Congrats for taking that on! I couldn't do it with where I am in life. :cheer:

AndyT

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:05 pm

"Guitar College" ??
Have a link for that?

TGJIM

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Tony,

Welcome to TG! We just put a new button up on the site called Master Menu that you can find on the homepage and TG Videos pages as well. It clearly divides the site into two columns which is the free and paid TARGET program side. I hope it helps you out and feel free to send us a support ticket if you have any suggestions or feedback about it.

Thanks,
Big Jim

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Tony: Welcome aboard our cruise liner. Glad to have you. Anybody that has your kind of background can only be an asset to the site. I took lessons for about a year and then just messed around for quite some time on my own. I stumbled across a few of Neil's clips and just gravitated here. It has been a great time so far. There are many fun people around here with tons of knowledge. Neil and the gang have uploaded way more than I can get too in my allotted time. The lessons are very detailed and I can only speak for myself, but my guitar playing ability has doubled since I joined (no wise cracks guys).

I hope you find it as useful as I have.

Also, I would be interested in the links to the "Guitar College" as well if you have them.

Cheers!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic