Hi from Vancouver, BC

mike_cvpi

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi all,
Just joined but have been looking at some of the You utube video shorts by Neil for a while. I'm excited about learning some new fingerpicking styles and decided to join the forum. I may go to the full Target deal as I am pretty stoked now from learning something different after many years of playing in a comfortable rut.

I worked on the road for many years way back as a sound man for the famous to the unknown. I now continue to work in entertainment and play guitar for personal enjoyment but I perform once in a while for friends.

My avatar is me mixing at an outdoor concert here in Vancouver.

All the best,
Mike in Vancouver

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 am

HI Mike Welcome to TG, I am sure others will back me but you can't go wrong with the TARGET programme, its a unique kinda Interent site for learning and a great community for meeting like minded people and the odd nutcase like AndyT or Bigbear or Acoustic Al or or or LOL seriously these are good guys always willing to lend a hand enjoy the site. What is your music taste and what kinda guitars you play?

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:45 am

Chasplaya wrote:
...the odd nutcase like AndyT or Acoustic Al or Neil...
Geez, do you guys believe how Chas describes you all!! ROFL! :lol:

Welcome Mike from a fellow Northwesterner! Glad to have you. Depending on what your music aspirations are, TARGET is a great program (programme if you are a wayward Kiwi!!).

One of the threads on this forum is about playing in front of large crowds. I'd appreciate your perspective on that.

Happy playin' :cheer:

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am

Just make sure you don't fall in with the wrong crowd here, Mike.
Every time I think I'm out.. they pull me back in!!

Welcome to the site. I love Vancouver-- been there many times.

Al

AndyT

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Al, the only out is when you shuffle off the mortal coil. (or quit visiting TG)

Welcome Mike. Ignore the Chas and Bear behind the curtains.... LOL

Good to have you here.

mike_cvpi

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. To answer a couple of questions, first I will say that I've been around long enough to have seen the Beatles for the first time on the Ed Sullivan show at the age of 13. I immediately washed the Brylcream out of my hair and never looked back. My parents bought me a Gibson acoustic at age 11 but they weren't musically inclined and told me I would have to learn piano before being able to play the guitar. I hated piano lessons and the guitar sat until it fell apart from being stored in a damp shed. I know, it kills me too. I picked up the guitar again at 20 while working with my first band as an aspiring soundman. That was almost 40 years ago now and it's been a great ride so far.

I guess I would say I play folky country rocky with an emphasis on minor key stuff. Along the way I have had a Les Paul Custom, Gretch Country Gent, 2 Guild acoustics, several Gibsons including a Heritage and a Dove. Now I have a Taylor 410 with a B-Band pickup going through a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp. I also have a Takamini 12 string with pickup and an old Fender Balboa cutaway acoustic. The Taylor is the nicest I've ever played hands down but I suppose that is relative.

Regarding playing in front of large crowds I have mixed sound in front of thousands but playingwise I have played in front of maybe a hundred and fifty at one time. That's also relative to whether you are in a bar enivironment or among friends. It's never going to be perfect, mistakes will be made and that's ok. Doing what you love and having people enjoy it is worth the risk of flubbing a bit here and there.

If we're allowed to post a myspace link I've got a few of my own on a page there. How about you guys? Any links to some of your stuff?

Mike

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 pm

mike_cvpi wrote:
I guess I would say I play folky country rocky with an emphasis on minor key stuff. Along the way I have had a Les Paul Custom, Gretch Country Gent, 2 Guild acoustics, several Gibsons including a Heritage and a Dove. Now I have a Taylor 410 with a B-Band pickup going through a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp. I also have a Takamini 12 string with pickup and an old Fender Balboa cutaway acoustic. The Taylor is the nicest I've ever played hands down but I suppose that is relative.
Mike- you must have great parents to buy you a Gibson to start with!! My folks bought me a Harmony! Bummer you didn't keep it. I didn't keep my Harmony either but I hope it made a nice little fire for someone! :lol: I always say youth is wasted on the young!!! :lol:

Nice collection of guitars! I play a Taylor 314 and a Taylor 855. My main guitar is a Larrivee L-10 made in Vancouver, BC (we have to say BC because I live in Portland and Vancouver here means Washington!)! Spectacular instrument that doesn't get the attention it deserves. But you can't go wrong with Taylor!

Take care! Cheers! :cheer:

mike_cvpi

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Jean Larivee and his whole family are true artists in the craft. They have a beautiful tone.
Mike

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:05 pm

mike_cvpi wrote:
Jean Larivee and his whole family are true artists in the craft. They have a beautiful tone.
Mike
Did you know that Jean and Bob Taylor are good friends and that is one reason Taylor and Larrivee are so similar? I bit the bullet and had Wendy Larrivee do the "Robin Hood" headstock for me. I heard rumor she was going to quit doing inlay work so I wanted one of her creations before she quit. I posted a picture under my profile.

The only problem was Canadian customs wouldn't let the guitar thru because of some restriction on abalone or Mother of Pearl or something! It took 6 months from order until delivery! Now, many/ most Larrivees are made in California! It just seems wrong that a French speaking, Canadian luthier is making guitars in California!! LOL! :lol:

Well they've got an Austrian governor so I guess anything is possible down there!

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 am

Hi Mike,

I note you mention a Takamine 12 string what model? I have a EF400s 1995 and it has a great sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic