I have been watching TG grow for over a yr now...

Robhug12

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:05 pm

So, I started to feel a little bit disenchanted by my guitar instructor (not that he was bad at his teaching, it was just the timing thing), when I decided to go on to "YouTube" and look for "How to play on the guitar" videos over a year ago ( at my own pace and time without feeling guilty, because I hadn't practiced pages 5 through 8). The process of having to be in the mood to play at a certain time and where I was going with "Guitar Methods and learning "Frolic" by Mel Bay's booklet for instance. I don't know about you, but because I am someone who's palette has been a washed in color and knew what I was wanting to learn (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, the Doors and wanting to play to likes of Plant/Clapton/Hendrix/Gilmor/Howe/Krieger - you know the late 60/early 70's music & so much more) the music I grew up listening too. I decided then, that I didn't want to invest any more time learning from this style and just forge on my own. To which, was a slow process and not as fruitful as I had wanted to say the least and then I found Neil. I just turned 38 , this about a year ago and thought, Wow - this is such a cool way to learn. If I had a problem or a special interest or just to really look at the hand movements (without seeming to feel awkward looking to close at the musician playing) - I felt that this was the beginning to something wonderful. And, I haven't felt left down yet, so when corresponding to Neil and learning about the launch of a new TG site, I felt like I was a seven years old again, waiting for the likes of Christmas or a trip to Disney. I was EXCITED about this new program!

I am proud to say and my wife and kids think, that I have come a long way with playing some music on the guitar, all thanks to Neil and gang! Practice/patience and through good instruction I can play a handle of the songs that I've always wanted to learn now. I can't say that I've learned them all, but at least I'm on my way and in good hands...

Thanks again Neil

Robert Hughes
Tampa Fl.

BigBear

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:00 pm

Robert- I'm right there with you! I told my wife I wanted to take guitar lessons again because I had totally stagnated. Then she got laid off so that went out the window. Then Neil came along and bingo, perfect fit for me. All the songs I grew up with and always wanted to play and $20/mo, great value! Plus Neil being a great guy was just the icing on the cake.

I'm like you, my family has asked what's gotten into me, my playing has improved that much! They even recognize the songs I'm playing. The best part is my Golden Retrievers have stopped howling when I play (kidding!)! Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 pm

I agree! My wife and kids now recognize the songs I am playing! Much better than the typical "What the hell are you doing in there?" I still have a long way to go, but I have really met some great folks here with tons of knowledge and an interest in sharing it. I knew I was going to sign up right away, because after searching for help on a song I was struggling with for some time, Neil offered help and in one day got me straightened out when I could get no help anywhere else. Very helpful guy, and he seems to enjoy the heck out of doing so.

I just started lessons again last Friday. I am concentrating on Ear Training, Scales and Modes during lessons (I have not been able to get exactly what I was looking for here yet). I really am excited about combining my lessons and the TG site to make major improvements. My instructor is a very patient and wonderful teacher too, which is perfect for my dense mind.

Glad you are enjoying it as well Robert. Hope you stick with it and get involved with all of the topics (both sane and insane) that we have going on around here.

Cheers!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic