From Florida

AcousticAl

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:48 am

Hello everyone,

I have been subscribed for a couple of months and hanging around the site a bit longer. I live in Palm Harbor Florida and have been banging on the guitar semi seriously for about 5 sometimes frustrating years!. Acoustically I have been playing a Martin DX1 (can't afford real ones!) and have a resonator I like to fool with. Someday I hope to play some decent slide! I was lucky enough to get involved with a good school and instructor who had me playing in ad ensemble in no time. I have performed with the ensemble at a couple local watering holes. In the begining my rhythm was so bad my instructor convinced me to learn the bass. Played that in the ensemble too. A different world let me tell you! I suggest to any begining guitar player to learn some bass. Teaches you to listen to the music in a different way and forces you to get better with your timeing. The ensemble thing has run its course so I have gone back to my first love - the acoustic. This site is fantastic. The posters on the forum are a great bunch too. Look forwad to talking to you all.

Mike S.

haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:54 am

Good to have you with us Mike. You are right, there are a great bunch of musicians on this site and they are all willing to help or listen to your ideas.

Bill

rcsnydley

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 am

Welcome Mike. I lived in Ocala for 5 years. My wife didn't care for Florida, but I loved it.

Ric

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Welcome Mike! Glad to have you here. Even though you call your DX1 "not a real one" it still sounds pretty good though doesn't it.... As long as you are having fun and learning, it is all good. Learn to play that one really good, and when you get the one you want, it will sound that much better.

Cheers and good playing. Also, make sure to check out all of the groups, as there is some really cool stuff over there.

MJ

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 am

HI Mike a big Welcome to TG its a great place to be for both guitar and camraderie.

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:41 am

Glad you joined up Mike. Not to worry about your guitar. Its a real one all right. Especially if it makes you happy.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am

Welcome Mike! Quite right to spent the first couple of months quietly behind the scenes what with all these Muppets and other disreputables (is there such a word?!) lurking the forums. Reminds me of watching Dr. Who hiding behind the sofa as a kid! Welcome to the fun!

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 am

SHHHH! Quiet you Daleks or I'll scarf you!

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:55 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Reminds me of watching Dr. Who hiding behind the sofa as a kid! Welcome to the fun!
LOL You too, I recall as a littly being scared of some of William Hartnells adversaries

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am

... how many hours did I spend speaking like a Dalek as a kid! Man. NOTHING has ever been so scary since. Now when I watch, I love to see how they trundle and bump along the studio floor.... hilarious!
We digress....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic