hello all fellow music lovers

goldleaf

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Jarred, welcome I think you'll enjoy TG at least I have. You bring up an issue that has always kinda bothered me, thats people not paying attention, especially if you have been asked to play. Like you say it's generally people who don't have any idea how hard it is to learn to play the guitar with any degree of proficiency. Of course it has a lot to do with how well I don't play.. Good luch and have fun. Gary

haoli25

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Jarred. Welcome to TG. As you can already tell, this place is a great source for good advice. I don't sing so I always force audience participation.:) "This song is........, I'll play it, and YOU sing it, here's your first verse..." Of course, you have to pause slightly to give them each verse, but most in your audience are just wanting to get to the chorus and the part they already know. lol
If you choose to sing along as you play, BigBear's advice about humming as you are learning the song should help a lot.

Glad to have you with us.

Bill

haoli25

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

The best thing to do is start singing the first day you pick up a guitar. Thats what I did and it is totally natural to sing and play at the same time. I tell everyone who askes me that question the same thing. Its like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Singing becomes your timming.;)

rcsnydley

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Welcome Jarred. You'll find a lot of great people here ready and willing to assist and also don't hesitate to chime in when you can educate a few of us old timers.

Ric

BigBear

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 am

Paulguitar56 wrote:
The best thing to do is start singing the first day you pick up a guitar. Thats what I did and it is totally natural to sing and play at the same time. I tell everyone who askes me that question the same thing. Its like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Singing becomes your timming.;)

Paul- that's great but what about the guys who didn't do it right off the bat? They learned guitar first and then want to sing later. I'm with you that it seems pretty natural but this is a common problem for many! :cheer:

BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:32 pm

BigBear;

I am very much aware that alot of people can't play and sing at the same time.( I have run into alot of them)...lol;) If you want to sing and play at the same time and you have been playing guitar for some time, You just need to jump into it and use a song you know by heart and also tne lyrics and practice, practice, practice. After awhile it will become second nature to you.

BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Paulguitar56 wrote:
BigBear;

I am very much aware that alot of people can't play and sing at the same time.( I have run into alot of them)...lol;) If you want to sing and play at the same time and you have been playing guitar for some time, You just need to jump into it and use a song you know by heart and also tne lyrics and practice, practice, practice. After awhile it will become second nature to you.

Paul- good point. It also helps to keep the guitar part as simple as you can. Nothing fancy until the singing and playing get into synch! :cheer:

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm

BigBear wrote:
Paulguitar56 wrote:
BigBear;

Paul- good point. It also helps to keep the guitar part as simple as you can. Nothing fancy until the singing and playing get into synch! :cheer:

Good points. One thing you can do is to sing the lyrics and just play strums as quarter notes. As you start to get more comfortable you can start moving toward getting the strum like it should be.

The other thing is to start slow and work up to speed. As you do it more and more it will become easier. The important thing is to stick to it and make it a regular part of your practice.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic