hello all fellow music lovers

indigochile

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 pm

hello all, the names Jarred. Glad to find a site like this. it seems there are alot of cool people here that are really into music. I love music myself. I just started playing about 3 years ago and i am hoping to move on to maybe forming/playing in a band. i also have just (last night) started writing songs. I haven't learned to sing when i play yet, i was wondering if anyone has some tips for doing that. Also, i was wondering whats the deal with the pm's? do i have to download a program for that?... look for some videos i'll be putting up soon... everything from classical music to classic rock... and maybe alittle reggae... good to be here and thank you neil for the cool website and great lessons...

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 am

HI jarred.

Welcome to TG its a great place to be for music lovers thats for sure. Its also a lot of fun. As for your query re singing and writing I think if you check some of the Forums their is already a category for that with quite a bit of info already. PM's can be done from your profile page or from another members profile page its under the box with the points etc, and no you don't need any downloads for it.

Enjoy the site mate

Chas

BigBear

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 am

Hey Jarred, welcome to the program! Glad you joined us! What part of the world do you live in? we've got members from literally all over the planet and it fun to see where our members call home.

If you are brand new to the program, make sure to join us for the next TG Live! this Saturday at 12:00 noon Pacific daylight time. They are a great chance to ask questions, see what Neil is working on and you can ask questions in real time as Matt reads your text messages and Neil responds. They are not to be missed!!

Anyway, welcome again and happy playin' :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:10 am

Welcome Jarred. Good to have you here. I look forward to your input on topics in the future.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:23 am

Welcome home to the 60's Jarred! You have the right spirit, the rest of us have the right birth date!

AndyT

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 am

LOL Statler!

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 am

Welcome Jarred! Glad to have you here. I too am working on being able to sing while playing. It is getting better. The fact that I can do it a bit, not necessarily the fact that it sounds good......

I would say play the chords over and over until you can play them while watching TV or hold a conversation with someone. After a while, you kind of develop a feel in the singing and where the song is going. It just starts to happen after a while if you put the time in. At least that is how it started for me. Neil was the one who recommended the watching TV thing. Although, that was really more for fingerpicking than for chords. It can be used well enough though.

Once again, welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you.

MJ

:)

BigBear

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 pm

One idea for learning to sing while playing, beyond the obvious "Know how to play the song first", is to hum the melody while playing. This will start to connect your brain to where the voice needs to begin and end without actually having to worry about lyrics and vocalizations. :cheer:

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:59 pm

BigBear wrote:
One idea for learning to sing while playing, beyond the obvious "Know how to play the song first", is to hum the melody while playing. This will start to connect your brain to where the voice needs to begin and end without actually having to worry about lyrics and vocalizations. :cheer:
Bear: Great advice! I find myself doing that all the time prior to being able to actually sing the song.

:laugh:

indigochile

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm

hey guys thanks for the warm welcome and good advice... i'll try that and see how it goes... i really just want to be able to sing cuz when you dont people end up getting kinda bored after about the second song (people who dont REALLY love music that is... i find that most people are usually just waiting for the words to start before they start paying attention.... personally i prefer wordless music most of the time)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic