Hi Everyone

regisalumni

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:28 am

I joined a few days ago. I learned to play in the Navy from a buddy of mine. We just knew the basic open chords for the most part and played "campfire" songs as I heard Neil refer to them. It was great fun, but when I left the service and didn't have anyone to jam with and the guitar got put away.

Dragged and dusted off the old guitar back our about 7 months ago and been banging away since then. I've spent a lot of time searching for a place to learn online and glad I finally found this site. Especially because I'm probably around the same age as Neil many of the songs he teaches are are the ones I tried to learn back years ago (particularly Neil Young). I even played a few of them (badly) way back when.

Anyway, still poking around on the site and working through the beginning lessons and playing along with Neil on Lucky Man and Who'll Stop The Rain and having a blast. It reminds me of playing along with my friend and we use to play the same songs over and over again!

I've also watched the firt two episodes of Totally Live and that was great too. A lot of good information there.

I only wish I could have found a teacher like Neil when I was much younger, but thank goodness I found him now.

Regards,

Jim (50 something newbie)

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Jim, and welcome.

I think you'll be amazed at how quickly your playing will improve by using this site.

Looking forward to what you bring to the mix here.

Al

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Welcome Jim! Yet another 50something newbie..... Man you guys are over-running the joint (no offense to you Bear - where ever you are - lol). Glad you found the site, and I hope you stick around and take full advantage of everything and everyone around. Make sure to check out the groups while you are at it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. There is ALWAYS someone around that can help out. Tons of kind folks around who love to share knowledge. That coupled with Neils lessons, makes for a good time.

Again, welcome!

MJ

BigBear

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey Jim! Big welcome to the program.from another 50-something player! lol! This is a great site for us old-timers dusting off the old guitar and taking another stab at it.

I ask every new member to introduce themself on the Please Introduce Yourself thread. Where do you hail from, what are your music tastes, where do you want to go with your guitar training etc.?

As a relatively new player, if you get stuck or frustrated just jump in here and ask questions. You'll get more help than you can possibly use. Some of it is even useful!!

Good luck and Happy Playin' :cheer:

willem

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello Jim,find the thread ''introduce yourself here"???? what a site is'nt it, i'm from the dutch and very happy here,hope you are to,check out everything,and play,play,play,cheeeeeeeeeese!

eagle670

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Welcome, from another 50 something member. Seems like this site is a magnet for guy's and gal's like us. Lot's of similar stories. It is great to be a part of something that everyone has at least one thing in common and sometimes more than one. Take BB's advice and introduce yourself on the forum thread. Good luck and happy playing.

Kevin.

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:45 pm

I was thinking of asking Neil to change the site name to 'Fogey Guitars'. LOL But then that would date me as well! :laugh:

eagle670

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Glad you didn't put "Old" in front of that.

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:35 pm

eagle670 wrote:
Glad you didn't put "Old" in front of that.
No, because then only Bear, Chas and Chris could be members.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Jim, welcome. As you've been hiding in the woodwork for a while watching our antics you know what you're in for here: A great time with good guitar buddies who all seem to be around 50. And what's wrong with that, I say! Look forward to seeing you around giving Andy (who must be way older than this fogey) and Bear (just for kicks) a hard time whenever possible. Please remember to kow tow 3 time each login to Gingold (Founder Member) and Chas (Grand Poobah). You can just nod at the rest of us. :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic