Hi from Adelaide

tovo

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi all. I was about to post in another thread but then realized it might be a good idea to introduce myself first. I'm a 45 year old Australian with a house full of guitars and kids...some of the kids playing the guitars MUCH better than I do! Like many people I guess it took me years to stop dreaming of playing and actually pick up a guitar, now I can't put it down. My wife is very supportive which is great and I love watching the kids playing and seeing them improve. Being Australian I started with a Maton but once I picked up a Taylor in my local store I was absolutely hooked and now play a 410ce which I just love. (I know I should probably be more patriotic but...)

This site is really great. Obviously not all on-line instruction is equal and some is simply not worth parting with money for but the depth and quality of the lessons from Neil is just fantastic. I have been on-line all weekend checking them out. :)

I look forward to participating in the forums to discuss music (not so keen on threads on which country has the best sports and why one country is superior to another etc...seems a dumb place to discuss that sort of stuff for mine...no offense intended to anyone)

Cheers!

Tony

AndyT

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Tony,
Welcome! And I join your lack of excitement for the sports threads.

TG is a very wonderful guitar site. One of the best. And its getting better all the time.

tovo

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome Andy.

haoli25

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Welcome Tony. Glad to have you with us, I think you will like it here. If you have any questions, please ask. We would also appreciate your tips or opinions too. Just pick a thread that interests you.

Bill

TGMatt

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

No Freaking Way..

A fellow South Aussie..

WOW

Welcome welcome. Both Cheryle and I are both from South OZ originally then migrated up to Sydney as my first business grew, then up to Gold Coast and Noosa, and finally offshore via France etc, till finally Gainesville, Orlando , Silicon valley for my other businesses , Met Neil, started learning guitar then Started Totally Guitars with him and now here..

Where abouts in Adelaide ?..Did you go to FLinders ?

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Tony, Welcome to TG its a great site thats for sure. If you want to be patriotic with Aussie guitars check out Cole Clarks, they are something else! The Cole Clark CEO is Bradley Clark former CEO of Maton.

The forums are very interesting places when they don't get hijacked lol, but even then thats done in good humour. The beauty of a large number of topics gives the choice of participating or not. Some threads i don't bother posting to, but might still read them cos the nature of this place is such that you sometimes get good info.

Don't forget the live broadcasts they are a unique feature and worth while.

So enjoy your time check out the Groups also a lot of good info there. If you need any help just post a thread and you'll most likely get inundated with lots of advice (mostly good).

regards

Chas

tovo

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow thanks to all you guys for a warm welcome. Hey I understand that there are different threads for different interests, I was just making the point that my interest here is music. I could see that it was just some banter.

Chas I play with a guy from work who has a Cole Clark, seems a nice guitar although I haven't played it myself. I can't go past my Taylor, the action is wonderful and I also love the Ovangkol texture, like crushed velvet. When I check out US prices for Taylor I get very jealous.

TGMatt I am from Semaphore. Sounds like we have had some similar experiences, I lived in Europe (Stockholm) with my family for 3 years working for a Software firm but found my way back to "sleepy hollow" eventually! (Adelaide is an "unappreciated" part of Australia!) I've visited the States several times but not lived there (yet).

Cheers,

Tony

BigBear

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey Tony, big welcome from States! We need another Aussie or two just to translate what Matt types!! Thanks for introducing yourself. You'll fit right in here, lots of people in their 40's and 50's trying to learn, or re-learn the guitar. This is a really great place to do that.

Don't worry about being patriotic. Chas, our token Scottish Kiwi, must own stock in Cole Clark and is always pushing those. I'm our resident Taylor lover. I play a 314ce and an 855 and I sold my 710 to my best guitar buddy (huge mistake!). Now he won't give it back but he does let me pet it occasionally! A lot of people must love Taylor because they make and sell over 80,000 per year and have become hugely popular for professional, performing musicians!

Anyway, if you need anything from any of us or you just get frustrated, just let us know! We're all frustrated to one degree or another but Neil does a wonderful job of bringing us out of our funks!

I hope you enjoy the program and good luck! Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:56 am

Hey Big Bear thanks for your kind welcome. (You too Bill, thanks). Funny I had the 314ce in my hand and just thought I would give the 410 a bit of a play for comparison and snap...I found the right guitar for me which I guess is far more important than blind loyalty to any brand. I'm sure Cole Clark made good instruments just the same. It seems there are a nice bunch of players here so I look forward to improving my playing with like-minded people.

nemastetaylor

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Hi Tony,
I am a Taylor fan also. I only have a 214 auditorium. Plan and without a pickup. I sure wish I had gotten the pickup in it. Welcome from Southern California.

Nemaste
Roberta

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic