Hello from Boulder, Colorado

AndyT

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:39 am

Another engineer? And a Taylor lover yet! You related to Bear? LOL Welcome and thanks for posting. Let us know if you have any questions.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 am

Welcome to TG mate. Good introduction. What is it about this site and Larrivee/Taylor/Engineers.
I guess Bear needs all the support he gets.

Anyways enjoy the site and as Ric says check out the groups there is a whole heap of interesting info there also and feel free to jump on in and contribute to the Forums.

regards

Chas

haoli25

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 am

Welcome FJVDB. Good to have you with us. If you have any questions, please ask.

As BigBear already mentioned, I am a Buffs fan. It's gonna be a loooooooong season.:(

Bill

wrsomers

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks, all, for the welcome. Much appreciated! I've joined the Theory group, and hope to contribute more there coming up. I'm thinking of starting a circle-of-fifths topic.

And thanks, Big Bear, for the explanation re: similarities and differences between Taylors and Larrivees. Regarding the tone, I feel that way about my Larrivee: no single element leaps out, it just sounds very balanced. I played a relatively inexpensive starter guitar, and the high end just was way to loud in comparison to the bass notes, at least to my ear.

Finally, I agree: I am very lucky to have a wife who supports my playing as much as she does -- though, there are times when I suspect she thinks I've been playing a tad too much. :)

Cheers.

goldleaf

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Welcome fj, it sounds like you have some really nice instruments. I opted for the Little Martin w/spruce top(probably not best for camping but for $20 more!!). I bought a bone saddle and ebony pins ($65)and was able to sand down the saddle to get optimum string height. It plays and sounds better than I ever expected from a 3/4 size guitar. FYI, I toured the Taylor factory last Tuesday while on vac. found they now make the Baby Taylor and guitar cases in Tecate, Mexico (60 mi. S of San Diego). My main guitar is a Guild, Willy Porter Signature Series w/ florentine cutayay & 3 way electronics. I also have a Blueridge br60ce I play a lot. It's great you are familiar with finger picking as I think it is easier to learn to use a pick as needed compared to learning finger picking. Hope you enjoy TG as much as I have. Gary

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 am

Interesting info, thanks Gary. I looked at the 3/4 Martins, and opted for the Taylor primarily because of weight: the Taylor is much lighter, and I'm probably going to doing alot of schlepping. I've got an appointment to take the Baby Taylor in and have them set it up, though I don't think I'll opt for the bone saddle/nut upgrades. Still, I'm hoping they'll be able to address the intonation issues.

Looked up your Guild, looks really nice. It sure is nice to have a good instrument to play, eh?

I am really enjoying learning the fingerpicking style songs, for sure. Handling the pick is tough for me in part because I have to unlearn some bad habits I "picked" up playing the mandolin all those years ago -- I'm getting better, and have been working a picking version of Here Comes The Sun that is improving my technique.

Cheers.

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:03 am

goldleaf wrote:
... I also have a Blueridge br60ce I play a lot...
Just looked this one up -- I've never seen a solid Brazilian Rosewood back and sides guitar for such a good price. I thought at this point you couldn't get one for under $5K. Seems like Blueridge has alot of high quality guitars at a good price.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic