Some may know me most do not........

1robekert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:51 pm

so I guess I should introduce myself. I have been here from the start too. I am 46 yrs. old and I suck at guitar. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm. I have been a subscriber of 2 other sites in the past. I am probably the most un-musical abilitied person you will ever meet. I see learning the guitar as the ultimate challenge. My talent was in the visual arts arena. I have always liked music and dreamed of playing an instrument some day. That dream seems still very far off.

I dabble in photography. I used to have pro photo equipment. Sold that when things got tight. Here is a link to my photo page. http://web.mac.com/robekert/iWeb/Rob%20 ... lcome.html You can read my Bio, it will fill in some gaps.

I am 46 and live just south of Philadelphia, PA. USA. I drive and unload a tractor trailer for a local dairy. We are members of Teamsters Local 463. Been on strike once. Sometimes you have to do what you got to.

My musical tastes.......Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Dave Matthews Band, Green Day, U2, John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Guns & Roses. This is what is on my iPod now :dry: I grew up with most of the TARGET songs that Neil does. With a few exceptions it is like I am surrounded by my big brother and sister's music.

I have an Epiphone Masterbilt Rosewood Dread that I play for my acoustic. I used to have a Gibson Songwriter that I sold. I was embarrassed to take that beautiful guitar out and play it so badly. I needed the money anyway. Do you see a trend here? It is tough working for a living. I plan on buying a tele for my electric. My son has a nice American Standard Strat. He is a much better player then me at 10 yrs. old.

I have a nephew who is the lead singer/songwriter for his own band. They just released their first record. I am very proud of him. He is my God-son. His record is on iTunes. Check it out. The name of his group is LVT.

Well I guess that is enough for now. I am glad to be a part of such a great site as this. It is not great because of me but because of all of you.
Rob

haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 pm

I liked the photos Rob, particularly the Air Show shots. Thanks for posting the link.

Bill

1robekert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I liked the photos Rob, particularly the Air Show shots. Thanks for posting the link.

Bill
Thanks for taking time to look at my shots. The air show shots are a favorite of mine too.
Rob

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Rob- Outstanding introduction! One of the best ever! Thanks so much.

I had to laugh because my ex-wife is living with a Teamster business agent. I come from the management side but he's a good guy and we have some really interesting discussions. The Teamsters are in deep trouble out here in Oregon. If it weren't for UPS and a few other big employers the Teamsters would disappear. They've lost like 75% of their membership in the last 3-4 years. Tough times here in the Northwest!

Many people that claim to suck at the guitar are not nearly as bad as they think they are or are better than they realize they are. Regardless, you've obviously come to the right place. And don't worry, I'm an engineer and about the most non-artist person on the planet. But what the hell, I love playing the guitar and I love getting better.

I've enjoyed your posts so keep 'em comin' and thanks again for sharing a little about yourself. This site is great exactly because of people like you that want to learn and get better. I always think that the guitar and music in general, like life, is a journey and not a destination.

Cheers!! :cheer:

1robekert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 pm

BigBear wrote:
Rob- Outstanding introduction! One of the best ever! Thanks so much.

I had to laugh because my ex-wife is living with a Teamster business agent. I come from the management side but he's a good guy and we have some really interesting discussions. The Teamsters are in deep trouble out here in Oregon. If it weren't for UPS and a few other big employers the Teamsters would disappear. They've lost like 75% of their membership in the last 3-4 years. Tough times here in the Northwest!

Many people that claim to suck at the guitar are not nearly as bad as they think they are or are better than they realize they are. Regardless, you've obviously come to the right place. And don't worry, I'm an engineer and about the most non-artist person on the planet. But what the hell, I love playing the guitar and I love getting better.

I've enjoyed your posts so keep 'em comin' and thanks again for sharing a little about yourself. This site is great exactly because of people like you that want to learn and get better. I always think that the guitar and music in general, like life, is a journey and not a destination.

Cheers!! :cheer:
You are too kind. As for the Teamsters, it is tough everywhere for Unions. I don't understand it. Sure there are abuses but many of the gains in the workforce are because of unions in the past. There were horrible abuses. My grandmother came here in 1911 from Italy and worked in a textile factory at 11 yrs. old. She had a 3rd grade education. Sorry but I don't think employers would give you much without a bit of pressure. That is where the union comes in. Since we are losing our manufacturing base in this country, unions seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Well we are still strong in the Northeast.
Rob

tovo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Hey Rob,

I've been here not 5 minutes myself but welcome anyway. I had a look at your portfolio and looked pretty cool to me. I liked the airshow shots, in a previous life I was involved in a couple of big airshows in Dubai and some of those fighters are awesome pieces of equipment...still wish we didn't need them though!

I was also interested to read about your Union background and the struggles. I won't pretend to understand your specific situation, as a foreigner I know zilch about the Teamsters (although I HAVE heard of Jimmy Hoffa!) but I DO understand working class and the historical struggle for working conditions so I kinda feel you there.

Anyway...good luck with your musical ambitions, from my short experience this looks to be the place to make some big gains.

Cheers,

Tony

1robekert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 am

tovo wrote:
Hey Rob,

I've been here not 5 minutes myself but welcome anyway. I had a look at your portfolio and looked pretty cool to me. I liked the airshow shots, in a previous life I was involved in a couple of big airshows in Dubai and some of those fighters are awesome pieces of equipment...still wish we didn't need them though!

I was also interested to read about your Union background and the struggles. I won't pretend to understand your specific situation, as a foreigner I know zilch about the Teamsters (although I HAVE heard of Jimmy Hoffa!) but I DO understand working class and the historical struggle for working conditions so I kinda feel you there.

Anyway...good luck with your musical ambitions, from my short experience this looks to be the place to make some big gains.

Cheers,

Tony
Good to meet you Tony. Many of the Union struggles happened before my time. My dad was the Regional VP of the United Paperworkers Union. I lived this stuff you may say. I remember their strikes and their contract negotiations when I was a kid. My dad cursed like a sailor.......or paperworker.

That aside my biggest challenge has been my 19 son with Autim/Mental Retardation. He was home until a year ago. He now lives in a group home. I did not want him to leave home but with the way the disability law goes in this country my son had to be placed by the time he was 18 in order to receive services. My wife and I are not getting any younger either. I am 6ft tall but my son is 6' 3". He also weighs 275 lbs. (Sorry I don't have the metric equiv) He is non verbal and his communication is very basic. He must be helped with all of his daily tasks. He cannot even toilet himself. Things like this make you prioritize and take a look at what is truly important. Music is my way of getting away from it all. I just wish I was better at playing. It would make my escape sweeter :laugh:

Unfortunately I have not traveled much. Only were my truck takes me. That is only a 5 state area around Pennsylvania. One day I hope to see more. Your country is on my short list.
Rob

heyjoe

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 am

Hey Rob

Welcome to TG and to the forum.
Just been on your website, you certainly are a talented photographer.
You've found a great site full of good people and the best teacher possible.

I get the feeling that from your original post that you don't think you can play the guitar too well, how about you do a recording of your playing, put it up on our student channel, and let Neil and the rest of us decide, and help you if thats needed. It really is worth it.

Even though thread pirates and muppets abound on here, they really are the best people you would wish to have on a site, full of positive comments, with occassional madness thrown in.

Joe

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 am

Rob:

Thanks for taking the time to formally intro yourself. In today's age, you are not alone with the hard times...... I live out in Cali and work for a company that employs union members (Operating Engineers). I can say that the halls a very full right now. We are fortunate enough to have a small core of guys that have been with us for a long time and we also have a few good customers that keep us fairly busy. There are a lot of folks out there that are not so fortunate.

I could not agree with you more about the escape part of playing the guitar! It seems that at the end of the day, if I get a chance to set down and play for a while, I can relax for the first time on any given day. Very therapeutic.....

BTW, your photos are very good. I am sure if you got to a point of taking photos like those, you will get to a point of playing guitar well enough.

Look forward to seeing you more in the forums!

MJ

:)

1robekert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:46 am

heyjoe wrote:
Hey Rob

Welcome to TG and to the forum.
Just been on your website, you certainly are a talented photographer.
You've found a great site full of good people and the best teacher possible.

I get the feeling that from your original post that you don't think you can play the guitar too well, how about you do a recording of your playing, put it up on our student channel, and let Neil and the rest of us decide, and help you if thats needed. It really is worth it.

Even though thread pirates and muppets abound on here, they really are the best people you would wish to have on a site, full of positive comments, with occassional madness thrown in.

Joe
Thanks for the compliment Joe. I think getting good photos is easy. I guess it is all in where your talent lies. I am looking into making a recording. My son has used up all of my DV tapes for my video camera. He thinks he is a YouTube sensation. I don't have to heart to tape over anything of his just yet. I tried my built in Web Cam on my Mac. The sound is horrible and the picture is crap. I don't want to look and sound like crap while looking and sounding like crap on the guitar.........if you get my drift B)
Rob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic