Some may know me most do not........

1robekert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Rob:

Thanks for taking the time to formally intro yourself. In today's age, you are not alone with the hard times...... I live out in Cali and work for a company that employs union members (Operating Engineers). I can say that the halls a very full right now. We are fortunate enough to have a small core of guys that have been with us for a long time and we also have a few good customers that keep us fairly busy. There are a lot of folks out there that are not so fortunate.

I could not agree with you more about the escape part of playing the guitar! It seems that at the end of the day, if I get a chance to set down and play for a while, I can relax for the first time on any given day. Very therapeutic.....

BTW, your photos are very good. I am sure if you got to a point of taking photos like those, you will get to a point of playing guitar well enough.

Look forward to seeing you more in the forums!

MJ

:)
Thanks for the reply Junkie. I know it is tough all over, and that is probably an understatement. At least people always need to eat. Since I am in the food service industry we have been lucky too. Not without a bit of pain and angst. Operating Engineers have to be hit just as hard if not harder than the Auto Industry.

Thanks for the compliment about my photos. I do tend to obsess when I get into something. Success usually comes at some point when I put my mind to something. Music is just in its own realm for me. It is almost like I decided to become a top marathoner. When you are not predisposed to running with a runner's build it is literally an uphill climb. I have just not had that Aha moment when it comes to guitar. With photography it just started to make sense at some point. You could work outside of the rules. I have not gotten to that point with guitar. I can't wait to cross that barrier.
Rob

NKenny

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Rob, welcome to the best site you will find. Great lessons and good people. Liked your photos,I am going to an Eagles game this Sunday. I'm sure you don't suck at guitar,we are all to critical of our self. By joining this site the only thing you can do is become a better guitar player and have fun doing it.

Kenny

goldleaf

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Rob, Welcome to TG, I hope Neil and this site have the magic it takes to flip that switch so you will be posting video's of yourself playing some of the great songs on TG. I think you'll find all the help, suggestion wise, that you could want. Then it's up to you to find the time to Practice!! Yea, it always comes back to that old saying, how does it go, Practice might make you OK?? something like that. Anyway, welcome and good luck. Gary

1robekert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 pm

NKenny wrote:
Rob, welcome to the best site you will find. Great lessons and good people. Liked your photos,I am going to an Eagles game this Sunday. I'm sure you don't suck at guitar,we are all to critical of our self. By joining this site the only thing you can do is become a better guitar player and have fun doing it.
Kenny
Yo Kenny,
I take it you are a local boy. I can't see anyone flying in to see the Eagles :laugh: I have not been to the Linc yet for a game. I see it from I-95 almost everyday on my routes. I am going to have to post a video so you can all tell me to go back to photography again.
Rob

1robekert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Rob, Welcome to TG, I hope Neil and this site have the magic it takes to flip that switch so you will be posting video's of yourself playing some of the great songs on TG. I think you'll find all the help, suggestion wise, that you could want. Then it's up to you to find the time to Practice!! Yea, it always comes back to that old saying, how does it go, Practice might make you OK?? something like that. Anyway, welcome and good luck. Gary
Thanks for replying Goldleaf. This is the best site so far out of all of the ones I have either subscribed to or visited. I hope for good things for all on this site. I think Neil has something here. I just hope some of it will rub off on me.
Rob

AcousticAl

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site. I checked out your bio and link to some of your work.
I really liked the cycling shots..

Enjoy the ride here on TG!

Al

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi Rob

Welcome to TG, great intro by the way. I also liked your Air Show shots, I'm formerly airforce so have an affinity for these kind of things.

That Raptor is one cool fighter, hate to be on the wrong of that baby!

As for guitar I doubt you will get better value anywhere right now. There are some good instrucotrs out there but they don't offer the whole deal that is available here. AS for the level your at as you said, you don't suck, its just where your at in your development at this point in time, spend more time here with neil and Co and your playing will improve, I'd virtually guarantee that.

1robekert

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Hi Rob

Welcome to TG, great intro by the way. I also liked your Air Show shots, I'm formerly airforce so have an affinity for these kind of things.

That Raptor is one cool fighter, hate to be on the wrong of that baby!

As for guitar I doubt you will get better value anywhere right now. There are some good instrucotrs out there but they don't offer the whole deal that is available here. AS for the level your at as you said, you don't suck, its just where your at in your development at this point in time, spend more time here with neil and Co and your playing will improve, I'd virtually guarantee that.
Air Shows are a blast to go to. I drag my 10yr. old to them. I think I have a better time than he does. The show of raw power of the jets is so cool. The Raptor is one of my airshow highlights. The B2 stealth bomber is another. That plane is so cool. It looks like it should not be able to fly.

I like your rephrase of my "I suck" description. From now on I will say " I am not at the level of playing yet that I would like to be" :) Sounds better.
Rob

1robekert

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site. I checked out your bio and link to some of your work.
I really liked the cycling shots..

Enjoy the ride here on TG!

Al
Thanks Al. There are many new experiences that photography has opened up for me. When looking for new places, events, etc. to photograph I am led to things I would not have ever gone to or tried. Cycling is one of them. I got so hooked on the events. My kids laugh at me during the Tour de France. I am glued to the TV for the 26 days. VS Network provides fantastic coverage. The fact that Lance was back in the tour made it that much sweeter. Philadelphia holds one of the premier cycling races in the US each June. This year It was called the TD Bank Cycling Classic.......I think. The sponsorship changes every few years. We usually go up each year. We get our free cow bell and have a blast. I think cyclists are probably the greatest overall athletes. The Tour de France is an awesome spectacle. I would love to see the finish in Paris some day.
Rob

1robekert

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:18 am

goldleaf wrote:
Some magic has already worked. I can finger a "Proper G Chord". I am just waiting to have that Aha Moment where many things start to make sense and you get an understanding. It happens at some point. I do practice........just ask my kids and my wife :) They don't call it practice though...........more like their torture.
Rob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic