HI from Long Island

musicdoc522

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

My name is Ed. I am 62 year old semi retired guy living with my wife and have two kids in their twenties. I work part time as a school psychologist. My interests are going to concerts, reading, sports and bike riding.
I have played guitar off and on for more than thirty years. Once I didn't pick up the guitar for 7 years. Since I retired 4 years ago, I have been playing more consistently other than time off for carpal tunnel surgery. I also dealt with a bout of guitar acauisition syndrome. Currently I own a Larrivee OM-03, Gibson Songmaker (Canadian) and a Gibson CJ-165. I play at least an hour a day and sometimes more as long as my fingers and elbows hold up. I love most of the singer songwriter music such as James Taylor, CAt Stevens, Neil Young, etc. I am a huge Beatles fan. My strength has been fingerpicking and my weakness has been timing and Rhthym. I am desperate to learn to strum better and play more rock and roll songs. I gave up on lessons with instructors as I couldnt take the pressure of having to come back every week to show how much i had improved. I like to work at my own pace. I also found that most instructors had their own agendas and frequently ignored my goals which was to learn technique and play songs.
I discovered instruction on the internet and learned some good things. This site is the absolutely best that I have found. I have learned quite a few songs. I love the format of the full lessons and even pay attention to the theory sections. I love the campfire songs also. There are so many great features and I expect to really learn alot. I might even get the courage to upload a video one day.

haoli25

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi Ed. Glad to have you onboard with TG and the TARGET program. This is a great site for learning the guitar, Neil Hogan is the best. There are also a lot of great musicians in this Forum and they are even better people. If you have a question, please ask. Your tips and opinions will also be appreciated here. There is a TARGET LIVE webinar this weekend, be sure to join in with the rest of us.

Bill

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey Ed! Glad to have you aboard. It sounds as though your background give you a solid base and you will certainly be able to build upon that here. Take the time to check out all of the groups and see the great stuff over there. I look forward to hearing from you in the forums.

MJ

:laugh:

BigBear

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Ed- WOW! Is this site perfect for you? You will fit in perfectly with us old-timers!! Great introduction! We should use that as the template.

Lots of great people here who are more than willing to help. Just ask!

How do you like your Larrivee? I play an L-10e and just love it. Now that it's broken in, it sounds beautiful!! But it took awhile!

Take care and enjoy your experience here are TARGET. We're all having a blast!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Ed and welcome from Down Under. Sounds like you have a wealth of great experience to draw on and I enjoyed reading your introduction. It's very cool to read about people's experience and what drew them to guitar, or back to guitar in your case.

Cheers,

Tony

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 am

Hi Ed, A warm welcome to the best guitar site going. Why the best? well dedicated Instructor in Neil and talented (sucking up) Great mates to be made, great choices of songs, great place for advice and help from like minded people. Also a lot of fun and good clean humour to be had. Check out the groups a lot of good info there. Feelo free to contribute and help also.

Cheers

Chas

RicksPick

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am

Hi Ed

Welcome

A psychologist eh, you might get employment here at the TG forum
Lol come and join the fun

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:41 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Hi Ed, A warm welcome to the best guitar site going. Why the best? well dedicated Instructor in Neil and talented (sucking up) Great mates to be made, great choices of songs, great place for advice and help from like minded people. Also a lot of fun and good clean humour to be had. Check out the groups a lot of good info there. Feelo free to contribute and help also.

Cheers

Chas

Unfortunately, you have to personal message each other for the 'unclean humour'.

:laugh:

heyjoe

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 am

Hi Ed

Welcome to TG and the forums
Sounds like you'll fit in here very easily

As long as you watch out for the muppets/pirates..and the other hairy creatures, and take everything they say with a pinch of salt, you'll be fine.

Good to have you here

Joe

musicdoc522

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am

thank you all for your words of welcome. I really love this site. It offers so much. I appreciate responses to my questions and if I can help anyone with their questions I will.

Ed

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic