Settling in

reiver

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 pm

This isn't strictly an introduction, as I've done that before, but not sure where else it sould be posted.

Been a member for a few days now and I do feel a bit like I've arrived 2hrs late for a party where everyone else is already in the kitchen knocking back their 5th or 6th drink!

One thing that has struck me is the unusual (maybe not the correct word) choice of songs in both the Target and the campfire sections. It's not that they're not good songs, but honestly - is anyone singing "I Will Follow You......" round their campfires. Aren't campfires supposed to be jolly!?

Nobody was a bigger fan of The Mody Blues than I was.......but that was 30 years ago. Nobody else that I know can remember them - and there have been a lot of good songs written since then.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that most of us are playing along with Neil on acoustic guitars, so where are the "built for purpose" songs. James Taylor has been mentioned previously, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Steve Earle, John Prine, etc etc etc.

Hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant. I am enjoying the site very much (even the theory sections) and I'm sure that it'll improve my playing enormously, but would like to hear back from others wrt song choices B)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi Reiver, welcome to the party. You sound English? Actually I must be a bigger Moody Blues fan than you because I'm still playing the songs and listening to them. Timeless and wonderful. You maybe underestimating the impact they still have. I'm looking forward to Simon & Garfunkel and Cat Stevens too... let's hope it happens soon... but there is already so much to do....

BigBear

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 pm

reiver wrote:
Been a member for a few days now and I do feel a bit like I've arrived 2hrs late for a party where everyone else is already in the kitchen knocking back their 5th or 6th drink!
We're having a grand time! Come on in, the water's fine!!
Nobody was a bigger fan of The Mody Blues than I was.......but that was 30 years ago. Nobody else that I know can remember them - and there have been a lot of good songs written since then.
They're still playing and I would suggest that their music is timeless! :laugh:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that most of us are playing along with Neil on acoustic guitars, so where are the "built for purpose" songs. James Taylor has been mentioned previously, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Steve Earle, John Prine, etc etc etc.
Geez, all those guys are from the 70's or earlier!! John Prine? He's in his 60's now!! I still play Paradise and Angel From Montgomery and everyone still loves it!!!
Hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant. I am enjoying the site very much (even the theory sections) and I'm sure that it'll improve my playing enormously, but would like to hear back from others wrt song choices B)
No rant, excellent post! Lot's people are asking for new songs but Neil has a winning formula and so many of us are really enjoying the songs we grew up with. I don't play John Mayer or even Rob Thomas. They don't strike a chord with me!

But you're right, this site just gets better and better! And it will change as it goes along. Hope you enjoy the party and hurry up and catch up to us. We're on our 6th drink!! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Someone posted a video (Matt?) showing about a hundred songs using the same 4 cords so why worry? :)

Joking of course there but my point is that even if your preferred songs aren't currently in the TARGET area (and songs can always be suggested) skills learned from 1 song are very transferable to many others so I don't see it as a big deal really.

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:51 am

tovo wrote:
Someone posted a video (Matt?) showing about a hundred songs using the same 4 cords so why worry? :)

Joking of course there but my point is that even if your preferred songs aren't currently in the TARGET area (and songs can always be suggested) skills learned from 1 song are very transferable to many others so I don't see it as a big deal really.
Excellent point Tovo, At times we forget this is a site about learning its not a repository for Chord charts or tabs. It's about techniques and learning various nuances of the guitar.

Anyways the site is young and I'm sure there are a lot more newer songs to come.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic