Hi from the South.....South California

lksmile

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 pm

I suspect that I am considerably older than most of you guitar pickers out there:( . Let it suffice to say that I was 25 when Woodstock happened and much too poor to travel cross country to see it. You do the math. I fell in love with the guitar and folk music when I was 15 and performed a little bit in the middle 60s before retiring to be dedicated amateur the rest of my life. I picked up a Goya G-10 classical guitar new in 1965 (yes this is the model that Julie Andrews played in the "Sound of Music") and still have it. Along the way I played a bit of banjo ( I have a Korean model that is barely passable) before adding a Yamaha APX-4A acoustic/ electric and an Ovation Celebrity 12 string, again an acoustic/electric. Since I retired a little over a year ago I have learned much more over the internet than ever before. I appreciate Neil's teaching and joined the Target program to learn more. I have not been disappointed, well maybe a little disappointed in my own abilities.

5 or 6 years ago I picked up a Boss BR-864 8-track digital recorder for "peanuts" on Ebay but never had much time to work on it. Recently I added a two-channel preamp (who knew microphones needed preamps??), a sonic maximizer, Shure SM58, AT2020 and AT2021 mics and I have confirmed what I secretly knew all along: I can sing better than Neil but I'll NEVER be a record seller. By the way i bought all of the above items used, or on Ebay, or at a thrift store for pennies on the dollar. I may not be rich but I know value.

Stephen Stills once sang "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". My darling wife of 44 years doesn't much care for that song but if you apply it to guitars I seldom play a guitar I don't like, but I've played a bunch (in stores like the Guitar Center) that sold for thousands of dollars that I liked less than the ones I bought for much much less.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. See my comments on the Kingston Trio in this forum and the Kingston Trio group I formed on this site and add your questions, comments and criticism. I leave you with this question: Who IS John Galt?

Have a great day every day. I do.

Lee Karjala

haoli25

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Yo! Not to much older than me, just a tad. I live in So Cal. Ojai to be exact. Cool bio. I liked reading it. Keep on pickin!

TGMatt

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 pm

welcome my friend...

haoli25

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Oh WOW, 'Atlas Shrugged' :)

Welcome to TG Lee. It is good to have you with us. I hope you have already checked out the other groups. If you have any questions, just ask. We look forward to you input.

Bill

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Welcome! Ventura here, so another SoCaler is good news! Thanks for the intro, and I look forward to hearing more from you here in the forums. Don't forget to check out the groups as well.

:laugh:

goldleaf

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Welcome from a NorSoCaler. I was born & lived in San Diego until I was 25, moved to the Central Valley, Fresno and have lived in Grass Valley since 1991, kinda worked my way up the state. I graduated HS in San Diego in 1964 so do the math. There are quite a majority of 50's with some 40's and 60's sprinkled in and of course some youngens in there also. Doesn't seem to matter much seems like most of us let our batteries go dead until we got a jump start from TG. The way Neil teaches and the way the program is set up seems to actually get results that lots of us had problems with in the past. Anyway, welcome & hope you have a good time with the group of pretty good people. Gary

RicksPick

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:01 am

Warm welcome Lee
Your so gonna love this community
It's all peace and love

RicksPick

BigBear

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:11 am

Lee- you're actually right up there with the rest of us!! There are lots of older players on this site. Hey, welcome to the program! We're glad to have you with us. Great introduction! You are going to love this site if you like the music of the 60's, 70's and only occasionally the 80's. Neil considers "new music" anything from the 90's. Anythig newer than the 90's is future music I guess.

Anyway, lots of great info and really great people. If you need anything, just ask and you'll be flooded with help. Some of it might even be useful!! lol!

Take care and welcome again to Totally Geriatrics!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:22 am

Welcome Lee, Just ignore BigBear he has his own group of one 'Totally Geriatric' LOL

Its a great place to be lots of info lots of real good people always willing to lend a hand or friendly advice. Always wiling to accept advice too so if you've got any jump on in the waters fine!!

regards

Chas

tovo

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 am

Great introduction Lee. Wow you have some experience to share that's for sure. I was interested in your mention of Woodstock, was it an event that you were well aware of at the time? Is it something you would have gone to if possible or didn't it register much at that point? Were you a big Dylan fan?

Anyway...enjoy!

Cheers,

Tony

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic