Hello from California

helloworld

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey everyone, I've been self teaching myself guitar for about a year now. I came to a point were I was frustrated and wasn't feeling any progress. Upon watching a few of the campfire song videos I started making progress again and spent about 4 hours practicing the day I found the campfire videos. I'm now signed up for target and looking forward to my continued progress.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

helloworld wrote:
Hey everyone, I've been self teaching myself guitar for about a year now. I came to a point were I was frustrated and wasn't feeling any progress. Upon watching a few of the campfire song videos I started making progress again and spent about 4 hours practicing the day I found the campfire videos. I'm now signed up for target and looking forward to my continued progress.
Welcome fellow Californian! Where do you reside? Ventura, CA here. Got an Ojai man around here somewhere as well. Also some folks from Northern CA. Glad you found the site, as it is a GEM!! Tone os great people and lots of material to keep you busy for a long time. Also, be sure to check out the groups. Look forward to seeing you around the forums, and hearing more from you.

MJ

:cheer:

terrynewton

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

helloworld wrote:
Welcome helloworld to TG.

You will find it a delite to be part of the TG family. we will all look forward to see you progress in you playing. Tons of songs from Neil and comments from others.

Terry B)

BigBear

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:09 pm

helloworld wrote:

Hey, first post!! A big welcome to the program! We're glad to have you with us! I ask everyone this but could you go over to the Please Introduce Yourself and tell us a little about yourself? Where you're from, maybe your age, your musical tastes and where you hope to go on your guitar journey. We've all don eit and it's painless, I promise!!

You're going to love this site, especially if you've been frustrated and want to get better. If you have questions or just need encouragement just post a question and you'll get more feedback than you can possible use. Some of it might even be helpful!!

Take care and enjoy the program, it's only going to get better. Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Greetings Helloworld! I know that getting stuck feeling very well being self-taught myself (in guitar playing, squash, tennis .. you name it!). SO you did the thing we all wished we'd done many years ago... found Neil. I'll bet you're getting stuck time will whittle down to near zero. Congratulations an a smart move and welcome!

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey! Im the Ojai guy that MJ mentioned. Do you live somewhere in so.cal? Glad to have you here at TG.;)

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Hey, I'm the NorCal guy he mentioned, Grass Valley. Since I started w/ TG I have not had enough time to practice, a new problem as far as my guitar playing. My guitar just set around for years untouched. With the TG program and Neil's approach it makes learning songs relatively easy. Still requires practice, but at least there is no problem with having a direction and specific goals. My problem is that I get distracted by new songs coming into TG, what I really need to do is pick a couple songs and practice those until I get proficient at playing them. I've still learned more in the last 3 months than the last 30 years w/ TG so it' up to me, the materials and tools are there I just need to get a little more focused on a few songs. It is not like being frustrated because I'm not learning or have access to new songs. TG pretty much put an end to that. Welcome and enjoy. Gary

tovo

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey Helloworld hello back from a little part of the World down under your part. Hope you have a good time here.

Cheers,

Tony

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:18 am

BigBear wrote:
helloworld wrote:

Hey, first post!! A big welcome to the program! We're glad to have you with us! I ask everyone this but could you go over to the Please Introduce Yourself ( Bear have you checked which thread this is in!!!)and tell us a little about yourself? Where you're from, maybe your age, your musical tastes and where you hope to go on your guitar journey. We've all don eit and it's painless, I promise!!

You're going to love this site, especially if you've been frustrated and want to get better. If you have questions or just need encouragement just post a question and you'll get more feedback than you can possible use. Some of it might even be helpful!!

Take care and enjoy the program, it's only going to get better. Cheers! :cheer:
Hello Helloworld, its hello from the other side of the world here. Tis a great place for sure don't take note of Bear he's having an off day doesn't even realise where he is lol, He actually belongs to Tottallygeriatric site lol

Serious mate lots to do here and lots of good people to add into the mix enjoy!!

helloworld

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey, thanks for all the great feedback.

I live in Fresno, CA. I used to live in Huntington Beach, but that was a long time ago. I have been to Ventura Beach on vacation a few times. I'm 32 and about to get married. We're tying the knot on October 10, 2009. We still haven't planned a honeymoon because we want to grab some last minute special rate. We'll probably end up going on a Mexican cruise.

On another topic; I've been working on Dust in the Wind for months now and still can't get the finger picking up to normal speed. Yesterday I was working on it some more and found a video of scorpion playing the song. It never occurred to me that I can strum the song instead of finger picking it! Within about 2 minutes I had the song sounding great using one of the strumming patterns I learned here on totallyguitars.com! I've never been able to make a song work like that before. I've always had to be told what pattern to use. It was quite exciting. After strumming for awhile I checked totallyguitars.com to see if Neil had covered the song before and he did. I discovered I was picking it wrong! I was hitting all of the right strings, but I was using my thumb only for the top base note and not the top two base notes. It's taken awhile to unlearn my old method, but I can already tell that using my thumb for both bass notes is going to dramatically speed up my picking! Making progress on the guitar is awesome!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic