Hello from Northern California

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:33 pm

I've been around for almost 3 months but never actually introduced myself. I reached the 200 posts goal yesterday so I thought it is probably time I say Hello. I'm Gary and I was born & raised in San Diego. Got Polio at age 6 & use a w/c for mobility. Graduated with my BA from San Diego State University 1972. Got married & left there when I was 24 and moved to Fresno CA. Lived there for quite a few years and moved up to Grass Valley CA in 1991. I started playing gulitar when I was 10 and after a few years wanted an electric. Parents agreed if I took lessons for 2 years I get the electric. I took lessons but somehow got thought 2 years without learning how to read music. I would get the tune, memorize it and play it back to the teacher next lesson. Got busted finally and gave up lessons. Started playing in a garage band with friends who had guitars one had drums and had a keyboard player a female singer. That lasted until college and the singer got married. I sold my electric and got an classical nylon string that mostly set around. I'd play off and on but never learned anything new worthwhile. I have a daughter who lives in Phoenex AZ and 2 granddaughters 6 & 9. Work 1/2 time for a non-profit agency. Started with TG about 3 months ago and bought a guitar each month I was in TG. It wasn't planned that way but that's what happened. I'm really enjoying the TG Forum, maybe too much, as I need to spend more time practicing. Neil and the TG method is the ticket for me. I can sign-on 24/7, well I go to bed by 9:00 really, but you know what mean. It's convenient for me to play and actually learn new songs, especially songs I like. Thanks to all the crew who have answered my questions and offered suggestions and answered questions, there are too many to name. My best wishes to all of the TG cast, your great. Your friend, Gary

haoli25

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm

And it's good to have you in the Forum too, Gary. We do appreciate your contributions here. :)

Bill

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Thank you kindly sir, I do like your horns. Gary

haoli25

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:47 pm

See Acoustical Al. He is the provider of the horns! lol Just pick an avatar and Al will fix it for you.
Hey, do you ever miss San Diego? I love that area. I used to do some work for a company in Carlsbad, just up the road from San Diego.

Bill

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Gary:

Nice formal intro. We may have overlapped in Fresno...... I was there for school from late 90 to early 94. I went the opposite way as you, starting in northern Ca and ending up down here in Ventura. Congrats on the 200th, and from what I have noticed, they have been good ones. I appreciate all o your input here, and look forward to more in the future. Keep having fun!

MJ

:cheer:

BigBear

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Gary- you've been a wonderful addition to our merry band of screwballs!!! Thanks for the great intro and will you just go buy that Taylor you want!!! LOL!

Cheers buddy!!! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:54 pm

MJ thanks for the welcome. I attended Fresno State in the Masters of Vocational Rehabilitation program in 90 - 91 and left in October of 1991 and headed for the Pine trees of Grass Valley and here I stay. Gary

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Bear, I just dropped off 2 Guilds and a Tacoma at my Luthiers Monday. I need to sell at least 2 guitars before I make the jump for that Taylor. Don't shed any tears for me as the Guilds are really nice guitars :blink:

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:08 pm

goldleaf wrote:
MJ thanks for the welcome. I attended Fresno State in the Masters of Vocational Rehabilitation program in 90 - 91 and left in October of 1991 and headed for the Pine trees of Grass Valley and here I stay. Gary
Ah yes, then you and I walked the same campus briefly! Did you ever go into the "Bucket"? I had a bad habit of frequenting that place back in those days. Fresno gets a bad rap (rightfully so in some cases), but if you know where to go and what to do, it offers a lot of fun. My buddy and i used to get out of class at 11:00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We would jump into my Jeep and rush up to Dinkey Creek area and trout fish until the sun would go down. Then rush back home to do homework. Priorities.......

The football games were also great fun!

goldleaf

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Didn't make the bucket but I went to a lot of Fresno State Basketball games and followed the Bulldogs football team. Those were some good years, lots of entertainment. I enjoyed the Sequia's, camping and even rafted down the Kings river and man when the runoff is really high that is an awesome run. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic