Hi from spain

bazzaspain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Not exactly Spanish mind, I come from London but we moved over here around 5 years back. I've been trying to play guitar off and on for years, but tried to really work at it about 8 or 9 years back.
I don't know about anyone else but the best and the worst thing that I think can happen is when you get a few chords and it sounds like a tune, it's great but it also means you can hit a comfort zone.
Boy when I was younger I got stuck in far too many three/four chord Dylan songs, the playing maybe wasn't great, there wasn't anything much more than those chords, but everytime you found something difficult there was a comfort in knocking out Blowing in the Wind and Mr Tambourine Man
So some years back I bought a big book of Beatles songs and worked my way through them, at least the ones I liked and also the ones that offered a few more challenges. I also worked my way through a lot of other stuff, Stones, Neil Young, Tim Hardin, Leonard Conen and I guess possibly my favourite band The Eagles
Of course it was all rhythym and I know although I can play a reasonable tune (as well as screwing up quite badly at times)it's all basic, it needs embellishment
Here of course is the catch 22, you listen to a record and want to play the tune, but then you realise that there's sometimes two or three guitars and a bass happening and unless you can play like Richard Thompson, who can actually make one guitar sound like three you need to start figuring out how to blend it to so that a tune actually sounds like it reflects the song your playing
I looked at quite a few guitar learning courses and books, even tried a couple, but I'm very glad I found this site, because looking at the stuff Neil does is exactly what I want, so much stuff that can embellish a tune, some simple, some looks simple until you try and copy it,some as hard as it looks until you keep working at it, but also some technical theory that comes across simply rather than overcomplicated, logics of chords linked to scales, structure of the songs, etc., it's excellent
It also has some real favourites of mine like Wild Horses, Angie, Ventura Highway and Who'll stop The Rain, so that'll keep me busy for a while
I have a few guitars but my favourite is my Martin D28 which really has opened out these last couple of years and it's the one I invariably pick up, matter of fact I shall be doing just that in a few minutes as I'm going to have another crack at Angie...... lets hope she doesn't slap my face:dry:

anyway nice talking to you

haoli25

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi BAZZASPAIN. Good to have you with us here at TG. Your experience is similar to many others here, so you will be in very good company. If you have any questions, please ask. We will be happy to help you. Any comments or tips will be appreciated as well. Good luck wit 'Angie'. :)

Bill

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Bazza,

Welcome to TG, its a great site as im sure youre finding out. Check out the groups also a lot of good info and trivia there. Feel free to jump in and ask questions or provide answers. The community is really awesome and helpful.

regards

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Hola Bazza! Sounds like this site is Taylor made for you (ah, pun doesn't quite work as you're playing a Martin, never mind!). Sounds like you'll get on here like a house on fire anyway. Your story is such a familiar one. We've all be out there waiting to find Neil (Finding Neil... good song title!). Hope you join in everywhere you can and look forward to exchanges and boarding parties with you! Chris

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Hey Bazza! Glad you found your way here. I am sure you will love it. Hopefully you can check out TG Live tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am going to miss it, but they are wonderful and great fun. Look forward to hearing more from you.

MJ

:) Image

BigBear

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey, welcome to the program! Great intro, thanks! Hope you enjoy your experince here. If you ever need anything plaese ask and you will get swamped with support! Just the way it works. We're a small family all trying to help each other succeed!

Cheers and good luck!! :cheer:

bazzaspain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Cheers for the kind greetings, it feels like home already, nice, as I mentioned I'm no great guitarist but you never know I might have something to contribute somewhere along the way, so if I can, even if it's not guitar related, maybe someone has a question about Spain or England or even Newfoundland dogs (I've had three over the years, Dylan my current one sticks his paws over his ears when I play) feel free to ask, I might not know the answer but I'll try and find out

tovo

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Bazza! A bloke with a name like Bazza should be living in Oz not Spain! Nothwithstanding that I'm a bit jealous, Spain is fantastic. Anyway...welcome mate.

Cheers,

Tony

terrynewton

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Terry Here----Can't really add to what's been said already, but welcome to TG. B)

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Bazza, welcome to the forum and the site. Looking forward to hear from in the future.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic