New Members Intro & Input to TG

AndyT

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I've been a moderator in many forums over the years and I've owned a couple of my own. A few points from my experience:

1. About 10% of forum members will actually post. The rest never or rarely ever do.

2. There is always a 'clique' among the frequent posters.

3. There will always be complaints no matter how well intentioned the posts or dilligent the moderation. You can not escape this.

It was always my policy to let the forum police itself within certain bounds. No swearing, no flaming and no trolling. Other than that, I allowed it to pretty much run on its own.

Depending on the forum, I would get literally hundreds or even thousands of complaints each and every month. The most common resolution, do nothing. It all comes down to the fact that there will always be people that are not happy unless they are complaining.

In TG's case, paying customers are complaining. Well... to an extent, they need to be listened to. After all, they are paying. But TG has a particular service and style of delivering it as their core product. By allowing complaints to alter that, the product becomes something else and is not was was advertised or being sold. I see that happening here.

As a Minister, I have to take other peoples feelings into account all the time, but there are times when people simply need to shut up and grow up.

Rules are good as long as they do not stifle the freedom to be creative.

That's all I'm saying about this. I expect this to be deleted, so read quick.

tovo

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:23 pm

Deleted? Strange comment Andy.

I have certainly appreciated most of your contributions. I think all we are trying to do is keep posts relevant to the original post. As a moderator of forums, you know this is always an uphill battle and the best we can hope for is the cooperation of the regular posters.

I think we are all interested in keeping the sense of Community that has formed here at TG but we need to keep it really useful to all our visitors. The small group of regular posters has a ton of incredibly useful information to offer everybody who happens by. Let's not lose sight of that as it certainly makes my job easier and a lot more fun!

All the best,

Neil

tovo

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Andy..

Not sure why I would delete your post you make some good points..with one exception I see here "paying people complaining ??" ...no the complaints I receive about the forum are from all ends..and have nothing to do with the product, but always to do with someone elses opinion...self policing was trialled it doesnt work here..I have outlined the basics..and so lets all get back on topic..

AndyT

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:32 pm

I totally agree with you Neil.
(I know, I said I wasn't going to say more but since Neil and Matt both responded...)

I was not going to say anything, but quite a few of us were having discussions behind the scenes recently on this very subject and had decided to cut out much of what had been complained about, (or at least what we heard of the complaints). It was already being handled quietly and in the background. Then suddenly Matts post. Wow. Felt like a slap. I can understand Matt's not wanting to deal with the complaints. Been there, done that, no desire to go back.

Well, I really hope that we can keep the lightheartedness that has been the hallmark of TG. It's a great site with top notch teaching and I so love coming here to relax.

wrench

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:35 pm

So just a quick summary then Id like to see folk get back to posting on topic...

I have two folk who have nominated themselves as moderators..and I have interacted with them this afternoon, Chas and Joe...when we get the tech guys back on monday they will be starting their work..thx gentleman...

I really appreciate the comments here..lets get it back together..the best thing to do is keep threads on topic and around music..its not that difficult an idea to get around..

If you find yourself typing something out to stir someone up, a gentle prod, whatever you want to call it , banter whatever...be very very careful, you may be offending someone..and if we think their is a possibility of that it will be removed..this is a simple rule..

The live shows chat - well...I dont want to moderate that unless it gets unruly..just bear in mind that other folk are trying to get their message across as well..today their were a couple of examples where rather than focusing on the training , some were focusing on poking fun at me..that is not cool anymore..the rest is your choice..

The small group who post a lot, just use more discretion about the number of posts that are meaningless to anyone else reading the thread..their are plenty of other places for that...you have walls, groups and PM ....keep it on topic and relevant..

Lets focus on getting content that is relevant now up...and discuss that...this topic needs to lose its importance and we all need to get back to the basics ...

CHeers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic