Hello from Sydney

michelew

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi everyone. Firstly a big thanks to Neil and the guys obviously working hard behind the scenes (mostly - Matt can't really be said to be completely behind the scenes) to make Totally Guitars work (and to everyone in the community too). I've been here for a couple of weeks and have already learned heaps. By the way, I've been enjoying the forums too.

TG is a great place to learn and fun to boot.I'm finding the 'short' tips/lessons really useful. I love the way the songs are broken down and all of the technique lessons in each one. They really demystify a song and show you how to tackle the trickiest bits. Who knew I'd be able to learn 'Blackbird' and play it slowly after a few days of practice. Like some of you out there, I've had to start from step one again - I'm having to unlearn the way I've been holding a pick and relearn the correct way - excruciating!

About me - I'm a beginner - I learned a few simple chords as a kid and then did nothing guitar-wise for 30 years. April this year my partner gave me a little push, so I picked up the guitar (which I purchased a year before) and decided it was time to learn how to play properly. Of course almost everything I though I knew as a kid was gone (or wrong). Until recently I've been soaking up what I could from other guitar networking and learning sites. But, I felt a bit directionless until I joined TG. I'm not a complete beginner. I can play bar chords now. Changing between them is not so easy, but its coming together slowly.

I like most styles of music - I mostly listen to roots/folk, country, rock, blues, R&B, classical, and fusions of all of these. My favourite artists are Indigo Girls, Waifs, John Butler, The Audrey's, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Brandie Carlilie, Eva Cassidy, Fruit, Patty Griffin, Ruthie Foster, Ben Harper. But, I'm listening to lots of others at the moment, guitarist especially (like Eric Clapton). Since being at TG I've been getting into Creedence and some other American classic rock (?) bands too.

Being from Australia, I often haven't heard of the bands/artists that Neil talks about. This is great for expanding my music library (no so great on the iTunes budget).

So in short, I've got a lot to learn but feel like I'm on a good path and learning lots.

That's me.

Michele

tovo

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm

G'day Michele and welcome. Great introduction. You will find (as you apparently already have) some great resources for learning here and that absolutely includes the experience of the members who are only too happy to pass on some great tips. Perhaps you can get in and make some contributions to the "Aussie Music" thread, Matt and I appear to have similarly shocking taste and I fear his obvious love for the Uncanny X-Men is doing our international music reputation no favours whatsoever!

Welcome again,

Cheers,

Tony

Lavallee

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Welcome to TG Michelle I am sure you will enjoy the musical environment. You are right about relearning being difficult but the outcome is very rewarding.

Marc

BigBear

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey Michele! Greetings from the Pacific Northwest of the US! This is a great place to get re-started learning the guitar. You'd be shocked how many people have the same musical story you do!

Let us know if you ever get frustrated or need any help. Lots of "helpers" around here, you just have to ask!

Hope you enjoy the program as much as we have. Cheers! :cheer:

p.s. Great introduction and we didn't even need to ask! :lol:

TGMatt

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm

hey hang on .. uncanny xmen album I won on a radio show.. at least I didn't post any cockroaches wawanee or pseudo echo..

welcome to tg , I lived in vaucluse for two years when I built my first business so I love the bay .. best harbour town in the world bar none

cheers

haoli25

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Michele, welcome to TG. You are going to love the TARGET program! It is, by far, the best teaching site on the internet. If you have any questions please ask.

Bill

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:37 am

HI MIchele,

I've already posted a couple of responses to your queries here so that was a bit rude of me not introducing myself here first. Anyway you've obviously discoverd TG is a great place and a very diverse membership with lots of willing helpers (even Bigbear is known to offer up sound advice). I'm across the Tasman in NZ but aren't a Kiwi i'm Scottish but I play a Cole Clark so real cosmopolitan here lol.

Hey enjoy your time here and feel free to contribute ideas suggestions and join in the various discussion groups going on here.

regards

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 am

G'day Michele from a slightly mist-covered Swiss hill-top overlooking (er that would be underlooking really) the Eiger, Mönch and Jungrau. And on a clear day I can almost see TG too. Welcome to the site and I'm glad to see some balance being restored to the TG globe: more females, more from down under... we were in danger of toppling over! Hope you enjoy the songs, forums and groups. See you around....

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:02 am

Hey Michele! Greetings from Southern California! Glad you joined and I hope you continue to have a good time. Like you mentioned, this is a great place to expand your music library. Both for playing and for listening.

Cheers!

MJ

michelew

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:00 pm

WOW! I just logged on not expecting to see this sort of a response...makes me misty eyed... Thanks for the fantastic welcomes everyone. Great bunch of people. I'll check out Matt's musical taste too.

Talk to you later.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic