Hello From Texas

badger_125

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Well, it took me a while to find this post. I am new to Totally Guitar. I wish this form of teaching guitar had been around 40 years ago. But, it is here now and I am trying to make the most of it.
My name is Steve G and I live about thirty miles south of Fort Worth Texas. I am 58 years old and started playing guitar when I was 14 years old. Sold out all intrest in guitar playing when I took up photography professionally in the eighties. That was a mistake. I love finger picking but up until now I have never had anyone to teach me.
Two years ago I bought a new Gretsch guitar and now I find myself strugling just to get back to where I once was. After watching Neal play, I am finding that my technigues were way off and I need to relearn how to play the right way all over again. This is a wonderful sight and I hope Neal will prosper and be around a long time to come.
Great to be here!
Steve G.

BigBear

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Hey Steve! A big welcome from Oregon. Glad to have you with us. You are right there with many of us, in our 50's and just rediscovering our love for this wonderful intrument.

Neil is a wonderful teacher. I, too, have played since I was 14 and along the way picked up my share of bad habits. Neil is a real stickler for technique so like you discovered, we need to go back and unlearn our bad habits and start doing them correctly. Not easy for us old dogs! LOL!

There is lots of help on this site so all you have to do is ask. You'll get more help than you can possibly use. Some of it might even be useful! Kidding!

Anyway, welcome again and hope you enjoy your experience here at TARGET!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Steve, welcome from Australia. I reckon you will get quickly back up to speed with the help of Neil's lessons and the TG community. Good to have you with us.

Cheers,

Tony

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Hey Steve:

Welcome from Ventura, CA. Glad to have yet another user with some experience. Neil will get you straightened out in no time......lol

Look forward to hearing more from you.

MJ

Lavallee

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Welcome to TG, Steve,from Montreal Canada. You will fit rigth in, : relearning after droppping guitar for a few millenium.

Marc

haoli25

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi Steve. Welcome to TG. Like BigBear said, you have a great collection of guitars! I think that Neil will have you fingerpicking in no time. He is a great teacher. If you have any questions, just ask. There are a lot of helpful people here. Check out the groups too if you have a chance, I'm sure you find a few that you will like.

Bill

AndyT

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm

BigBear wrote:
There is lots of help on this site so all you have to do is ask. You'll get more help than you can possibly use. Some of it might even be useful! Kidding!
Yes, Bear is kidding. NONE of it will be any help! LOL!

Really, if you post a question and get some answers and Neil does not add to it then you can guess he agrees with the answers posted. Neil has already said as much a few times here in the forum, on the blog, in live episodes... So feel free to ask whatever you like. (assuming it is guitar related!)

badger_125

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Thank you for your encouraging words. I have a long road ahead but with help from good people like yourself I think I will stand a good chance. Thanks again.

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Welcome Steve, From the other land downunder NZ ! Its all been said, its a great place great tuition from Neil good group of helpful people .

Enjoy the site mate.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Welcome Steve G (I know your brother, Kenny) from a misty Switzerland. TG is where it's at all right, hope you enjoy the ride and friends you will find here. Texas, eh? My favourite bumper stick reads: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here soon as I could!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic