Hello from San Jose, CA - Fred

Fred

Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:38 am

Hello fellow musicians!

First some info about me:

I've lived in the San Jose area all my life (except for about 1 year in the mid-80's when I lived in Columbus Ohio). Married, 2 adult kids ages 19 and 21. I work in high tech.

I was drawn to the guitar at a young age and had a neighbor who played. He offered to give me lessons and I took a few, but I did not stick with it. As I got into Jr high and high school, I became active in musical activities (Choir, Chorus and Madrigal singing). I performed in 3 muscials during this time as well.

After all this time (and now that the kids are more self suffieicent), I've gone back to my "roots" and picked up the guitar, which brings me to my association with Neil (I still enjoy singing, though I have not performed since high school).

I met Neil through softball - our duaghters played on the same summer travel team in 2007 and started lessons with him in June of 2007. I go weekly - on Monday's - and I'm generally Neil's last lesson of the night.

Musical tastes:

I'm a bit old school on this - I like the crooners of the 50's - Frank, Dean, etc and the early rock-n-rollers/doo wop sound. Needless to say, I'm a big Elvis fan. I like the classic rock groups of the 60's and 70's and some classic country. Recent concert's I've attended include: Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springstten and Rod Stewart.

That's about it! I look foward to becoming more involved in the site and striving to improve my guitar playing.

Fred

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Fred and welcome to TG from Switzerland! Very impressed to see you actually sit down with Neil on Monday nights for a lesson. Everyone here will envy you. Thanks for showing Bear that he doesn't know a Taylor from a hole in the ground or a Takamine (great choice!) !! :-) Enjoy the ride! Chris

TGMatt

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Welcome Fred..

Have to catch up with you when I get back to the valley..

Fred

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Welcome Fred..

Have to catch up with you when I get back to the valley..
Sure thing, Matt...I'll look forward to it!

Fred

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey Fred:

Welcome from Ventura, CA!

Thanks for the intro. Nice purchase on the G&L. They are great guitars! I looked at them pretty extensively before I opted for my Tom Anderson (a super guitar as well). G&L has some outstanding models to choose from. Kudos to you for getting to sit privately with Neil each week. Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

MJ

Fred

Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Hey Fred:

Thanks for the intro. Nice purchase on the G&L. They are great guitars! I looked at them pretty extensively before I opted for my Tom Anderson (a super guitar as well). G&L has some outstanding models to choose from. Kudos to you for getting to sit privately with Neil each week. Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

MJ
Hey MJ!

Good eye on the G&L. I got it in June, impulse buy, saw it and had to get it. I think I got pretty good deal - 499.00 + rax, brand new. It's the tribute series. I cant do anything more wit it than I do with my Takamine, but one day!

On a side note, we used to stop in Ventura on the way to Disneyland when we took the kids, many a moons ago. Used to stay in the hotel right next door to the In and Out Burger on Seaward Ave. Great memories!

Fred

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Fred wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Hey Fred:

MJ
Hey MJ!

Good eye on the G&L. I got it in June, impulse buy, saw it and had to get it. I think I got pretty good deal - 499.00 + rax, brand new. It's the tribute series. I cant do anything more wit it than I do with my Takamine, but one day!

On a side note, we used to stop in Ventura on the way to Disneyland when we took the kids, many a moons ago. Used to stay in the hotel right next door to the In and Out Burger on Seaward Ave. Great memories!

Fred
$499.00! Wow, that is a good deal. I looked at the legacy series for a long time, and they were running $800.00 - $1,000.00. I really liked what they offered, and the guys at the factory were super cool. Invited me down to check out some lefty models they had there. Could not have been nicer. The only thing that led me to the Tom Anderson, were the options (and the fact that their little shop is right down here by me in Newbury Park). The price was CONSIDERABLY more for the Tom Anderson, but It is, by far, my favorite toy. It is their Hollow Cobra S model and sounds sooooo nice when I play, and it just feels so right in my hands. Here is a Link to their site.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/

When you get into using that G&L, you are going to be a happy camper!

I know the exact hotel you are talking about. In fact, we go by it sometimes on our way to the beach, or to have a GREAT burger at Duke's.

I used to live up in Modesto, and we used to go to Santa Cruz every weekend in the summer to boogie board. There were a few times back in the 80's and early 90's when we used to hang out in San Jose and go to a bar called the "Rusty Pelican" or something like that. Used to have lots of fun. If I would have been into guitar back then and known about Neil, I would have probably stopped by all the time to check in. Seems like such a genuine dude. You can tell he enjoys the heck out of what he is doing.....

Keep up the lessons, and keep checking in here in the forums!

Cheers!

MJ

:)

Fred

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Fred and welcome to TG from Switzerland! Very impressed to see you actually sit down with Neil on Monday nights for a lesson. Everyone here will envy you. Thanks for showing Bear that he doesn't know a Taylor from a hole in the ground or a Takamine (great choice!) !! :-) Enjoy the ride! Chris
Thanks, Chris. Really enjoy the time with Neil - he's a great instructor and has a very unique way of taking a complex topic and explaining it in easy to understand terms. But playing along with Neil is the highlight of my lesson time...I'll strum something like "tequlia sunrise" and he'll play the lead...great stuff, indeed!!

Fred

BigBear

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:

In my defense, that's a pretty small picture!! :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic