Hello from Albany NY

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 am

Yep, I recognise it as a SNJ, HArvard now. Love the huge cowling .... must have been fun to fly!

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 pm

A harvard now I should have know that we have one flying round home all the time, it is part ot the RNZAF historic flight.

AndyT

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Oooohh... I love airplanes! (drooling)

You will find that guitar and aircraft go hand-in-hand with each other and all those other people that do not fly are really missing out. I know the Texan pretty well. It's a sweet and forgiving ride. Has a lot of nerve though if you're willing to push her.

Same with the gitbox. She will push your skill levels higher and higher as you practice more and more. Don't worry about missing a note here and there. That's part of the fun!

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey Pat:

Welcome from Ventura, CA. Glad to hear you stuck it out and also glad that you introduced yourself. With your years of playing, you undoubtedly have some good info to share as you post more. Look forward to hearing from you more often.

MJ Image

deuce01

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

well if ya like flying check this Video out. I ran across it a few years back. I was actually building a Vans Aircraft RV7...that project got crushed as a result of funds and divorce..anyhow this is a Vans RV4 low wing plane flying low and the music in the back ground is Stephen Stills "Tree Top Flyer" Dude looks like he is havin some fun!

wrench

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Welcome aboard Pat.

I hope you have as much fun here as we're having. We'll be looking forward to hearing more from you.

wrench

AndyT

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Very sweet video Deuce! thanks for posting it!

goldleaf

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Welcome Pat, say you've been lurking, waiting to see what TG was all about. If I might ask, what made you take the jump, or was that partly due to the divorce. I used to play 30 years ago, since then just picked it up long enough to get frustrated. When I ran across TG, I finally found a way to learn some of my favorite songs and do it from my living room, even learning some theory which used to be like eating my vegetables when I was a kid, now it's interesting. Neil is a good teacher. Have to give you the handle "Midnight Flier" since you've been lurking in the background & just came in for a landing. Gary

jayswett

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Cool vid. And an even better song.

deuce01

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Welcome Pat, say you've been lurking, waiting to see what TG was all about. If I might ask, what made you take the jump, or was that partly due to the divorce. I used to play 30 years ago, since then just picked it up long enough to get frustrated. When I ran across TG, I finally found a way to learn some of my favorite songs and do it from my living room, even learning some theory which used to be like eating my vegetables when I was a kid, now it's interesting. Neil is a good teacher. Have to give you the handle "Midnight Flier" since you've been lurking in the background & just came in for a landing. Gary
Well actually what i meant by lurking was i have been a member of Target since its inception. I was not looking at anything more than the lessons on the site. I have not participated in any of the other parts of the site until now. I came across Neil on YouTube last November trying to learn a certain song..which i cant for the life of me remember....perhaps Ventura Highway... Then as i followed his site Target was born. I was skeptical at first since i did not want to pay for something when i wasnt sure how through the content was going to be. I have learned over the years in many different ways...jamming with others, books, tabs, youtube, just listening by ear and now TG. I like the way Neil lays out the lessons and i like the songs that are posted. He plays with very good accuracy and explains how to achieve that. Most of his lessons i can pick up really quickly since i know the cords he is playing by site. It also helps to like the song too. I really love playing acoustic now especially the old songs form the 60s and 70s. The Neil Young songs i knew but havent played them in a while. I was really happy to see ELP, Creedance, America and now James Taylor. They don't make music this beautiful anymore and to play it well with emotion and feeling is something i have a very hard time explaining to others. I guess a single word to describe it is Joy. I will have to try some of the more challenging songs like Classical Gas and Embryonic Journey. I really feel like i can learn to play anything. With the help of this site as inspiration i'm sure i can. My guitar playing has had it's ups and downs over the years for various reasons...now i am on an upswing. I just learned the Fire and Rain song...took me about a 1/2 hr or so to get comfortable with it but it's going well. I can sing to most of it now but am still stumbling on occasion with the transition from the Bm7 to the A in the chorus..feels a little cramped for space on the second fret (or 5th if you have it capo'd) So i need to work on that transition more accurately so i can keep the correct notes and tempo. Oh...and i use a pick with this song. I only finger pick with Thumb and index and occasionally middle finger...bad habit i picked up over the years i guess...Gonna have on work on that. But....i'm pretty good with the pick hand...so it's decent sounding. I'll have to get a web cam so i can start posting some videos...looks like it can be a fun way to have others help in struggling areas.

Ok..better get crackin...

Midnight Flier B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic