New Member from MO

Tribe01

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Welcome M

Mike

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 am

Hey M- Big Welcome to the program from just south of Centralia in Portland! Could we ask a little more about you? What are your musical tastes, where are you on your guitar journey (beginner or touring pro)? What "M" stands for, etc? LOL! There are lots of us old geezers on this site but we need input from you younger guys so please chime in about how we can help you make this site even more awesome than it already is!

Cheers! :cheer:

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 am

Hey M- Big Welcome to the program from just south of Centralia in Portland! Could we ask a little more about you? What are your musical tastes, where are you on your guitar journey (beginner or touring pro)? What "M" stands for, etc? LOL! There are lots of us old geezers on this site but we need input from you younger guys so please chime in about how we can help you make this site even more awesome than it already is!

Cheers! :cheer:

__m__

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 am

Thanks for asking. "M" is a kind of a nickname. The friends I was deployed with in Iraq started calling me that instead of my full last name, Mudge. It's really only used now as online or gaming screen names (anyone play Test Drive Unlimited you'll see "MtheName cruisin around there, or "M" struggling to stay alive on Return to Castle Wolfenstein ), and some of the guys I was deployed with then still call me that.

As of my path on the musical journey... maybe I should start with my desired goal: To play casual and confidently in a group of friends or family while hanging, out or at a BBQ, or around a campfire, etc. Where am I now? Funny you ask, because I decided to check out the beginner lessons to make sure that I hadn't developed any bad habits or anything since I've been trying to teach myself and now I feel even more discouraged because I discovered I had. Now I feel like I'm learning the basics over again.

I was in Band since 4th Grade all through high school (trumpet), and my wife is a music teacher, so I know and understand music. When I was 18 got my first guitar (cherry red 6 string Austin electric) I got a book and decided to try to learn. Played off and on till I got deployed to Iraq, then pawned it off shortly after I got home (about 3 years after I got it). About 3 years after that my wife bought me an Alvarez acoustic to try to inspire me to learn again. I played it pretty consistently for about 9 months, then I was deployed to Kosovo. I did take it with me, but due to mission demands, it turned into an off and on thing again. Now, I'm here to keep myself in a consistent training and practice routine so that I can improve.

So, I'm feel like I'm re-learning everything I thought I had learned before. Not that I had learned a lot. I've been able to play simple rhythm guitar changing chords fairly smoothly. I've never tried finger picking until today. Never have I ever played with anyone else before, or played for someone else to critique my playing, although now wishing I would have. In short, lower level intermediate that has taken a few steps backwards...

You know what I really like? That's acoustic versions of rock songs. New or old, it doesn't really matter. And some of the acoustic rock songs too. Shinedown's "45", Staind's "Outside", Kutless' "Somewhere in the Sky", Daughtry's "Home" - those are some of the newer ones, but any well done acoustic cover of newer artists songs are cool. Those 90's rock bands like Live, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Nine Inch Nails are all good. I was working on Live's "Lighting Crashes" before coming here. Pretty much any of the classic rock will always be in me. I grew up on that thanks to my parents and know them all. Listen to it still daily on the local classic rock stations all day working construction.

Anyway, long post, but there it is. I appreciate the friendliness. Haven't gotten that in any other forum.

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:08 am

Bear has lost it. Double posting! Well, I guess that means that he has to turn in his guitars. As much as I am against it, I'll accept the responsibility of caring for them all. When should I expect delivery Rick?

My grandmother lived in Jeff City her whole life. She taught art in the schools. Welcome to TG. I'm sure you're going to love it here!

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:29 am

Wow i am aging myself now but Wolfenstein was the very first PC game I played and was I addicted lol. I guess its evolved since the 90's

eagle670

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 am

Welcome to the site. Great to have another member from the great state of Missouri. I am about 3 1/2 hours north of you towards Kansas City. I have been to Springfield many times, love the Bass Pro Shop there. Just got back from a trout fishing at Bennett Springs. You will like the company around here, lots of knowledable and helpful folks.

Kevin

suziko

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 am

Welcome, M! I drove through Missouri this past spring break on my way to Colorado Springs. It's sure pretty down there! I live way up der yonder in Wisconsin ;) My first acoustic was also an Alvarez. It's a solid. Welcome to TG!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic