Hello from Houston, Texas

houtexcc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi everyone! I've posted on another forum here once, but this is my formal introduction.

I joined the site about three weeks ago and have really enjoyed it so far. I love classic rock of all types, but I'm sticking to acoustic for now.

I would call myself an "experienced beginner" but not quite an intermediate becuase I don't have all my barre chor shapes quite nailed yet. I've been playing about 5 months now on a Seagull Mosaic (bought slightly used).

I'm interested in theory and why things work they way they do. I practice about 4-5 days a week for about an hour (longer if I can). I'm trying to focus on learning a mix of songs that use different techniques and styles. I'm trying to split my practice time between three types of songs - strumming, fingerpicking and flat picking. That's why I think this site and Neil are so great, all three styles are represented.

I user Evernote (see attached) to store and categorize all my music stuff, which let's me access it from any computer or my iphone. if anyone is interested on how I do that, let me know and give you a rundown.

Sounds like a lot of folks from Texas, maybe I'll start a Texas or Houston group. Glad to be here and see you around!

BigBear

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey Welcome to the program from Oregon! We're glad to have you with us. Thanks for the great intro!

I'm really interested in Evernote because my music has overwhelmed me! I'll PM you about it.

Hope to see more of you on the forum and good luck with your guitar learning!

Cheers! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi houtexcc, a warm welcome to TG from Chas in NZ. This is certainly a great site and only gets better.

regards

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Greetings houtexcc! Welcome to TG and the forums. Quite a Texas contingent we have now.
That evernote sounds interesting (no attachment) tell us about it.
Chris

__m__

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Hello From Springfield, Missouri! Good to meet you!

tovo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi mate, welcome from down in Oz. There sure are a lot of Texans here on the site. I think you have come at a really good time with plenty happening on the site and resources growing all the time. Have a blast!

houtexcc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Since a couple of you asked about how I use Evernote:

When first getting started about 5 months ago, I knew that I needed a way to organize my notes, lessons, links and other stuff related to guitar. Naturally, there are a bunch of options out there, starting with a simple notebook. But as I got into it and realized how much was on the web, I realized I needed something that would let me organize web-based links and images as well as documents. I also wanted something that I could access via the web that wasn't dedicated to one computer.

So I stumbled on Evernote, which is a "cloud computing" website, that you can access directly via the web, or through clients that run on Windows, Mac, iPhone, Blackberry, etc. These clinets snycronize content with your web-based account, so no matter how you update the content, you always have access to he most recent library.

So I started creating electronic "notebooks" for lessions, theory, websites, you-tube videos and songs. then I started adding tags to those notes. Tags help me catagorize my stuff.

Here's an example: Let's take the one of the songs from TG; Brain Damage by P.F.

I created a "note" in Evernote with the Title "Brain Damage", then assigned the following tags: "Finger Picking", "Barre", "Pink Floyd", "Learning", "Now"

Then I pasted on the link to Neil's video, and pasted in the PDF of the song. I also typed in some notes and the strumming pattern.

The tags let me display groups of similar songs. So, say I want to see all the Finger Picking songs I have saved. Well, I just click on the Finger Picking tag in Evernote and it lists all the songs.

So, now, If I have my Guitar somewhere, but no access to a computer, I just pull up evernote on my iPhone and look at the PDF (unfortunately, iPhone doesn't work with Neil's videos from on TG, but it does work with youtube videos). The image is a bit small but workable.

So that's it in a nutshell. It's really helped me out. I still think there's a place for a printed notebook of songs, especially as backup, but Evernote is my main library.

Thanks!

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey!

Welcome from Ventura, CA! Another Texan! And this one from the town I want to visit most. Home to "Southpaw Guitars"! Someday......

Anyway, glad you decided to join, and also glad you described the Evernote program. Sounds kind cool. Will have to check that out.

Look forward to hearing more from you here in the forums.

Cheers!

MJ

:)

mmmbldo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey, good to meet you! How do you like your Mosaic? I have a Seagull S6, which I like, and have been thinking that sometime I might like to get one of their nicer models.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Welcome from N. Calif. Happy to have you with us. Hope you enjoy TG as much as I have. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic