Hello from Houston, Texas

houtexcc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:17 pm

I really like my Mosaic. It has a ceder top, so it probably has the same sort of warm tone as your S6. My guess would be that there might be a slightly better resonance with the Mosaic. What I really like about all Seagulls is the neck. The way they finish the neck makes them feel better and "slicker" compared to other brands that I've tried in the same price range.

What is it that you're looking for to be different than the S6? If it's the action, I would recommend having your S6 looked at by a guitar tech for possibly lowering the bridge. My was lowered by the guys who had it before me and the action is really good. If you're looking for a different tone than your S6, you might want to try a Mini Jumbo in spruce ( I think they are called the Mariner line), especially if you want to finger pick. If you're looking for a similar (but probably slightly better) tone with a few upgrades, then the Mosaic would probably be a good choice.

Hope this helps!

mmmbldo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 pm

I also love the neck...the shape, feel, short scale. That's a big reason (among others) I would be interested in getting another Seagull. I have looked at a lot of guitars over the years, and the ones whose necks I really liked have been few and far between. Maybe I'm just picky. :) I like to tinker (nothing invasive yet) and have already tweaked the setup a bit myself. I was looking for a sound not quite as bright and made a new saddle out of rosewood. At the same time, I lowered the string height somewhat and got a set of Tusq bridge pins. This worked pretty well.
The main reasons for being interested in another guitar would be trying different wood combinations, solid back, and cutaway.

songman52

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Welcome from the Beaumont area. When you say "Houston" around here, that could be anywhere from Channelview to Katy or Woodlands to Clear Lake! Glad to have you aboard.

songman52

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey MJ. Our lead player holds his guitar "wrong" too, and often wears t-shirts from Southpaw Guitars. He loves the place. I believe they carry left-handed picks, left-handed capos, left-handed strings, left-handed tuners and all the accessories you'd need for playing "backwards". (Wouldn't know we give him a hard time, would you?)
Do you play mirror image as well?

houtexcc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:32 pm

mmmbldo,

Sounds like a Mosaic would definitely fit the bill. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the sound. A friend of mine who had play a lot of guitars thinks mine has a sound only rivaled by a couple of high-ends that he's played. Course, he could just be building me up!

Howdy songman52. I'm on the Northwest side in Cypress. Work in the Woodlands You're right out the size of "Houston". Seems even bigger than SoCaL sometimes. I've been thinking of starting a group here. Maybe call it Greater Houston TG Appreciation Society? Whatya think?

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 pm

songman52 wrote:
Hey MJ. Our lead player holds his guitar "wrong" too, and often wears t-shirts from Southpaw Guitars. He loves the place. I believe they carry left-handed picks, left-handed capos, left-handed strings, left-handed tuners and all the accessories you'd need for playing "backwards". (Wouldn't know we give him a hard time, would you?)
Do you play mirror image as well?
Tried playing right handed for a bit, but it just felt sooooo wrong to me. Can't keep rhythm with my right hand (not that I am all that good at keeping it with my left either). I also tried playing upside down, but that was just weird. So, lefty it is. Total bummer trying to find guitars to test drive too. I ordered my Baby Taylor from Southpaw and they were really great. Helped me out quite a bit. Would really love to visit their store some day. I just have to check out the left handed picks, capos and strings.....lol

MJ

stratman3

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 am

Hello from Magnolia Texas,

This is a great web site and it sounds like you have got the disipline and organization thing going which we talk about recently on the forum. Sounds interesting and should help with your progression.

Count me in on the Texas club. I drive right through Cypress to get to work everyday.
Who knows there could be a group forming here all we need is a drummer and a B player.
B)

houtexcc

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:00 am

Sorry for the confusion Stratman3. By "group" I meant a group on the web site here. I'm not even close to being band ready yet... Thanks for the post though!

Lavallee

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 am

Houtexcc, welcome from Canada, glad you joined us.

Marc

leeson

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:18 am

Welcome from a neighbor in NM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic