Hi from Skokie, IL

nneihaus

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:05 am

Hi. I've been playing for about 10 years (I'm a 55 year old teacher but still a kid at heart). I play classic rock songs for my students and make up a lot of educational games around them (Here Comes the Sum, etc..). They all resist at first but really end up loving it, especially the Beatles tunes. I've tried explaining Beatlemania to them, but unless you've lived it, it's difficult to really fully understand the experience. I follow a few of the better guitar web sites, but Neil's is fast becoming my favorite. I appreciate the thoroughness of the lessons (I just joined a few days ago). I also like that the songs are mostly made so one acoustic guitar can play them completely. I have too many instructional books and DVD's where guitar parts are take exactly from a recording, leaving a void if one is playing solo. Also, I like the selection of tunes. I'm already recommending this site to my other guitar playing friends. I teach beginning guitar in summer school for elementary students and I teach staff guitar to a few brave teachers. I play at coffee shops and restaurants doing 60's/70's sing-alongs and we usually have a blast. One problem I have is that I usually tackle too many areas at once and never become expert in any. I may decide to play electric blues, then switch to acoustic rock, to country blues, to flat-picking, then to my uke, etc.. I'm hoping to go through the songs I like here completely and gain proficiency before moving on to something else. That's about it for me. Talk to you more later.

jayswett

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:15 am

If you just joined, welcome to the site. I've been here a few months and love it. What is "staff guitar"?

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:21 am

Welcome nneihaus!
I'm sure you'll be visiting those other guitar websites less and less.

Enjoy the ride!

Al

nneihaus

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am

I just teach 5 other staff members who are just starting out. Sorry, should have made that clearer. My own terminology.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:48 am

Hi nneihaus (sounds like a name with German roots) from Switzerland and a fellow teacher. I don't teach in school much (never have, much) but do work with kids, sportspeople and professionals. Happy to see you here as this site will pay off big time on all those guitar activities of yours. I can imagine it's going to turn you into an expert teacher for your beginners. There's a school in Zürich where I do some substitute teaching now and again and every break time I'm in the music room where they have a lovely Stonbridge/Furch guitar that I commandeer for a half hour or so, sometimes get an audience who like to sit and listen Fun. Enjoy yourself here and look forward to seeing you around the groups and forums. Chris

Music Junkie

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:26 am

Hey nneihaus! Thanks for the intro. Glad you found us here, and like Al said, you will probably be visiting the other sites less and less now.....lol

Keep making the learning fun for your students and they will remember you for it!

Cheers!

MJ

nneihaus

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks to all for the greetings.

BigBear

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:47 am

N- Great intro! Thanks for that and welcome again from another 55 year old kid! We'd love to hear more about your perfroming in coffee houses etc. Lot's of us would enjoy doing that but don't know how to pull it off or in my case lack the courage to try.

Hope you are a frequest poster here and good luck with this wonderful site!

Cheers! :cheer:

haoli25

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Welcome to the 'Candy Store', NNEIHAUS. Great intro, I'm glad you could join us here. If you have any questions, please ask. If you have any tips to share, please do.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Welcome nneihaus, This is a great site, many of us have been trawling guitar sites for some time and I beleive most of us concur this is one of the best , if not the best for a variety of reasons. Great teaching of songs and as you say done in a way that they sound complete. Also a lot of good buddies to be made here as well as being a lot of fun. Hope you stick around and can tell a few coffee house stories.

cheers
mate
Chas from New Zealand

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic