Hi from the Treasure Coast, Florida

old surfer

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Everyone, Great to be here. I'm yet another 55 year old beginner/intermediate player with sloppy guitar playing habits. I stumbled across this site via a you-tube video. I was amazed at Neil's talent playing the guitar and especially his gift as a teacher. After checking out the free stuff for a few weeks, I realized what a great site this really is and signed up for the Target program. I've rededicated myself to the guitar!
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a question about the Sweet Baby James tab. At the top of page 1 below the title are all the chords needed for this song and with Neil's suggestions for fingering. But in the tab itselfonly a few of the chords are as shown at the top (D e.g.). Am I missing something? Thanks for any help, and am really looking forward to learning as much as I can from this great site.

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Old Surfer, Welcome to the programme, good decision to join up you won't regret it. As to your question there are threads for specific questions which either Neil answers or members jump in and help out. I'll have a look at the lesson you are talking about as don't know the answer of the top of my head.

Enjoy the site

regards

Chas

jayswett

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:54 pm

I looked at the tab and am not sure I understood your question. D shows up throughout the tab with no unusual fingering that I can see. This is the first that I've looked at this lesson, and I must say it looks like alot of fun. JT songs are generally above my skill level, but this song looks reasonable. Once I finish She Talks to Angels, Landslide and Never Going Back Again, Swett Baby James is next!

tovo

Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Old Surfer from Australia. Sure are a lot of 55 year old guys here (not that there is anything whatsoever wrong with that!) So you are in really good company. Cheers for the introduction, hope you enjoy!

BigBear

Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Hey Old Surfer, big welcome from Oregon. Thanks for the great intro. I love it, another 55 year old. We should start a group for all us 55 year-young kids in the TARGET candy store.

This is a great site to work on sloppy habits especially the dreaded "baseball grip" with the left hand. Neil has us so well trained that every video that gets posted the first thing everyone comments on is left hand position. Old habits die hard but they can be changed.

You will fit right in with us on this program. If we can ever help you with anything, just let us know. Lots of willing helpers at this site!

Good luck and enjoy the program! Cheers!!! :cheer:

old surfer

Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. In regards to my tab question, If you look at the second and third measure (em7 and A7sus4) the tab is showing the same fingering. I guess what I was trying to say was that the D chord is about the only one with the correct fingering. Once again I must be missing something. Thanks for any input.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Welcome Old Surfer from a young(er) guitarsurfer in Switzerland! Enjoy the ride and look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Lavallee

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi Old Surfer, welcome from Canada. I see what you mean at the second and third measures. The Em7 and A7 sus4 are both using the D and G (3rd fret second string and 3rd fret first string). The chords above the tabs shows that both Em7 and A7 sus4 have their own fingering (Em has a finger on second fret 4th string and 5th string like a regular Em and the same for the A7 sus4). In the video Neil shows the chords as in the list of the chords above the tabs. The tabs are not showing the proper fingering as in the video, but if you play the song as in the tab, it will sound the same as the tabs shows the base E (6th string) for the Em7 and then hit the 1st, 2 nd and 3rd string, and the A base (5th string). If you put a note in the "spot the slip" post, they will correct it.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/12-spot-the-slip

Marc

old surfer

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks Lavallee for your input, I think I can just transpose the correct fingering from the tab below the title. Don't think I'm position to criticize this great site. The are working hard enough here to make it work.

Lavallee

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:10 pm

old surfer wrote:
Thanks Lavallee for your input, I think I can just transpose the correct fingering from the tab below the title. Don't think I'm position to criticize this great site. The are working hard enough here to make it work.
They actually want for us to indicate if something is not correct. With the mass of stuff TG puts on, it will happen (not very often I must say). So if you mention it on the link (which TG put on the forum themselves) I put above they will take note of it and correct it.

So it is not a critic , you are helping them and all of us at the same time

Go ahead

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic