Checking In From Los Gatos, CA

eagle670

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Greetings to all the TG Community,

I feel like I need to start here again after a bit too long in the incommunicado department. I really need to apologize for the apparent neglect, although I can tell you that much of it has been for upcoming content at TG.

I have been occasionally able to keep an eye on the Forum, just unable to put together much in the way of responses. I must say I am very happy with the way the site has become almost self-supporting, due to the incredible activity, and even care and feeding, from our members.

I am working on some seasonal tunes as well as the Genius Series, and trying to hammer out as much as possible over the next few weeks. Some new stuff will be available shortly.

Speaking of the Genius Series, there is a quick thing I should probably clarify. Most of these lessons are presented in somewhat of a lecture or discussion format. I would guess that anybody who is the least bit interested in music theory has already bought books or found material online that describe this stuff in writing, and a lot of it is probably pretty unclear.

My focus on these lessons is to explain things from my point of view and hope to clear up what you have read about. A great way to absorb information is to have it presented from multiple angles. The angle I am using with this series might help bring things better into focus, especially if you make written notes, or write out some of the scales and exercises for yourself. I really want you to be looking at this as a class and there is homework involved.

Having said that, I will not rule out the possibility of posting handouts or attachments somewhere down the line, but all this info is readily available all over the place in various forms and I think the verbal descriptions might turn out to be the missing link for many students. The goal is to make everybody a Musical Genius, or at least everybody who would like to head in that general direction.

...OK, off the soapbox...

In any case, I am back into production and communication as things should get back to normal this week. I should admit to a bit of playing hooky last week as my wife and I spent a few days in Hawaii, hoping to see a bit of the college team playing softball and hanging out with our daughter. It turned out we got plenty of time with Rebecca but no sight of softball as Hilo lived up to its reputation of one of the rainiest cities in the country. Over 13 inches fell in the five days we were there! More details on the TG News later this week. Until then...

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Apologies totally unecessary, If anyone feels neglected here they are just not checking out the very impressive work you've done to date and they aint working hard enough. And Hat off to you Neil, family time is very important and I doubt anyone here would grudge you that time spent with family, even if it did rain !!

regards

Chas

phil51

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks for the update Neil. Family is always most important. Plus I have enough material here to keep me busy for quite some time. Keep up the good work.

- Catfish

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Neil:

Family is always first!

Glad you take the time to spend with your family. Your extended family here has plenty to do with the songs you have given us already. Hope you had a good raincoat......lol

MJ

:silly:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Have to admit, did miss you Neil but knew that you have been flat to the boards for a number of weeks now. Family (especially daughters) certainly comes first second and third (are you reading this Galsteien: Forgot to pick up your daughter... shame on you!! ;-)). The TG family will be here waiting with open arms... even if the arms are already occupied by warm guitars!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic